Embedded database to be used in Windows universal application

Question

• Hi All,

We are starting to create an universal application for our existing Android application. We used to use SQLite in Android for our data storage.

As i learnt its advisable to use SQLite for universal applications. Also found SQLite-net and SQLitePCL as two API wrappers which can be used.For that i have following questions and comments.

• SQLitePCL uses SQL so it will be more easier for us to migrate our code.
    • Is SQLitePCL mature enough and microsoft advises it to be used ? How will be the community support for this. ?
    • Is any SQLite Visual Studio extension available which will help me to  view the runtime instance of the DB file in a viewer. ?(When i am using emulator)
    • Any other visible advantage does SQLiteNet has which i will be missing in SQLitePCL ?

Any inputs to my above questions and comments will be hugely appreciated.

Cheers,

Saurav

Tuesday, December 16, 2014 8:31 AM

Answers

• Hi Saurav,

>> Is SQLitePCL mature enough and microsoft advises it to be used ? The NuGet provides many packages to help programming. Based on my knowledge, it’s nothing to do with recommendation, it’s depending on your preferences.

>> How will be the community support for this. ?

You are always welcome to open thread on forum if you have any questions.

>> Is any SQLite Visual Studio extension available which will help me to  view the runtime instance of the DB file in a viewer. ?(When i am using emulator)

Microsoft has a forum to discuss extension of visual studio, I would recommend you to take a look. https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vsx. You can open thread on this forum if you have vsx questions.

>> Any other visible advantage does SQLiteNet has which i will be missing in SQLitePCL ?

As I know, the sqlite-net library supports LINQ expression. LINQ use Object-Oriented programming, it is easier than common way in my opinion. Sqlite-net copy source code file in your project, you can also edit if you want.

Regards,

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place. Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, December 17, 2014 3:40 AM