sql server problem RRS feed

• Question

• Cannot connect to DESKTOP-JMJ11OU\SYSTEM.

===================================

Login failed for user 'system'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

------------------------------
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

Server Name: DESKTOP-JMJ11OU\SYSTEM
    Error Number: 18456
    Severity: 14
    State: 1
    Line Number: 65536

Program Location:

at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ctor(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, SqlCredential credential, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SecureString newSecurePassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance, SqlConnectionString userConnectionOptions, SessionData reconnectSessionData, DbConnectionPool pool, String accessToken, Boolean applyTransientFaultHandling, SqlAuthenticationProviderManager sqlAuthProviderManager)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, DbConnectionPoolKey poolKey, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.TryGetConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions, DbConnectionInternal oldConnection, DbConnectionInternal& connection)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionInternal.TryOpenConnectionInternal(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.TryOpenConnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory, TaskCompletionSource`1 retry, DbConnectionOptions userOptions)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpenInner(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.TryOpen(TaskCompletionSource`1 retry)
       at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open()
       at Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.UI.ConnectionDlg.Connector.ConnectorThread()
    Monday, March 4, 2019 5:07 PM

All replies

• TITLE: Connect to Server

Cannot connect to DESKTOP-JMJ11OU\SYSTEM.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Login failed for user 'system'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 18456)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft%20SQL%20Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=18456&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK
    • Merged by Teige Gao Tuesday, March 5, 2019 2:13 AM duplicate
    Monday, March 4, 2019 5:04 PM
  • Have you tried to connect by SSMS? If you can you should check (or ask to your DBA) if the user has permission or if you are using the right password. 
    Monday, March 4, 2019 5:12 PM
  • Does the user system exist in the instance?

Have you enabled mixed mode authentication?

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Monday, March 4, 2019 6:04 PM
  • duplicate of

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/2050baaf-a33d-48fe-b036-4a459367f0be/sql-server-problem?forum=sqlsecurity

Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue
    Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue
    Visakh
    ----------------------------
    My Wiki User Page
    My MSDN Page
    My Personal Blog
    My Facebook Page

Monday, March 4, 2019 6:05 PM
  • Check the errrlog file on the server, or ask your DBA to do it. You'll find the reason in there.

Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP (Web Blog)

Monday, March 4, 2019 6:30 PM
  • Hi jangaiah,

Firstly, please check the error log for your instance(DESKTOP-JMJ11OU\SYSTEM) for more detailed information. You can locate the errorlog at "%programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQLnn.SYSTEM\MSSQL\Log\ERRORLOG" by default.

Besides, please ensure that the login account "system" is added to the instance and the password you entered matches the login.

Best Regards,

Emily

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 7:18 AM
  • Check the error log on your machine and it should say why it failed as below:

Login failed for user 'System', Reason: "<Actual Reason here> "

This should tell you if mixed mode authentication is required or account is locked or password is incorrect/expired

Tuesday, March 5, 2019 9:58 AM