none
Major .NET installation headaches RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all.  I'm running Windows 7 trying to get .NET 4.0 or 3.5 working.

When I try to install 3.5 from the Windows Components section of Programs and Features I get "An error has occurred.  Not all features have been successfully changed."

Running the .NET 4.0 setup I receive the message "One or more required members of the transaction are not present."  Here's the log:

OS Version = 6.1.7600, Platform 2
    OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 
    CommandLine = C:\b3344ab412ab56fad86c1b2b\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64 /ia64 /web
    TimeZone = Eastern Standard Time
    Initial LCID = 1033
    Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
    Operation: Installing
    Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
    Package Version = 4.0.30319
    User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
    Number of applicable items: 11
    Exe (C:\b3344ab412ab56fad86c1b2b\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
    Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    ServiceControl operation succeeded!
    Exe (C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_4.0.30319\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x371b - One or more required members of the transaction are not present. .
    Exe Log File: CBS.log
    Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x0000371B), "One or more required members of the transaction are not present. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:00:53).

I will note under C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v3.5/
    I see a bunch of files, csc.exe, etc...

I have tried a couple executables my google-fu led me to believing might help (dotnetfx_cleanup and msicuu2.exe) although both seemed a bit dated. Neither did anything.

I've been banging my head against the desk for hours... 

Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• You are banging your head as far as .NET Framework 3.5 is concerned.

Windows 7 installs .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 through 3.5 SP1 as an integral part of the OS (please note that 2.0/3.0/3.5 is ONE full framework. 3,0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0, NOT full frameworks), so you already have it. Look in Control Panel->Programs and Features=>Turn Windows features on or off to see the listing for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1.

As far as 4.0 is concerned, use Aaron Stebner's cleanup tool to get rid of any leftovers from the failed install. The tool has been updated to deal with all frameworks currently available, including 4.0:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx

Then, try the 4.0 standalone installer after disabling your AV and anti-malware programs.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a391abd-25c1-4fc0-919f-b21f31ab88b7&displaylang=en

• Edited by pvdg42 Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:49 PM typo
    • Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:43 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 3:48 PM
  • You say

"Windows 7 installs .NET Framework 2.0/3.0/3.5 though 3.5 SP1 as an integral part of the OS (please note that 2.0/3.0/3.5 is ONE full framework.  3,0 and 3.5 are extensions to 2.0, NOT full frameworks), so you already have it Look in Control Panel->Programs and Features=> Turn Windows features on or off to see the listing for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1."

But the very first thing in my post was 

"When I try to install 3.5 from the Windows Components section of Programs and Features I get "An error has occurred.  Not all features have been successfully changed.""

This was to tell you that I'm not stupid, and already tried to tick the box for Microsoft .NET 3.5 in the Programs and Features area of the Control Panel.  It is currently unticked and I cannot install it from there.

And as far as the clean up tool, this may not have been clear, but when I said

"I have tried a couple executables my google-fu led me to believing might help (dotnetfx_cleanup and msicuu2.exe) although both seem a bit dated.  Neither did anything"

The dotnetfx_cleanup == Aaron Stebner's cleanup tool.  So yes, I've already been to his blog, and yes, I already tried that.

And I didn't have AV or Anti-malware up at any point in the installation process.

So yea, thanks for suggesting two things I explicitly mentioned I tried in my post.

Friday, February 11, 2011 1:30 AM
  • Hi FalseLobster,

After I checked your provided log information, it seems that your issue might be related with windows update. I think you should check this article.

Best Regards,

Larcolais

Larcolais Gong[MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Larcolais Gong Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:43 AM
    Saturday, February 12, 2011 2:02 PM
  • Microsoft: masters of the obvious. Not to mention that they blame anti-virus software for everything, even when it isn't installed.
    Friday, February 25, 2011 10:10 PM
  • The above take you to a probable scam site, they follow the pattern ... ie, offer software to fix the problem, will scan and when the problem is found, the next step button will take you to a web site where they want your credit card to "activate" the software. Shame on the moderator for marking this as the answer.
    that was almost but not quite entirely unlike me
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 8:51 PM