With Visual Studio Express SP1, upgrade SQL Express RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, So i have Visula Studio Express sp1  on XP SP 3.

This came with the runtime version of SQL Express so i am looking to upgrade the SQL Express.

In the download page there are 4 versions, (1) with tools, (2) advanced (3) runtime, which i presumably have, and (4) SQL Server 2008 Management Studio Express.
    For the Managment Studio version there is a link for people (like myself i presume) who have the runtime version only.

First question is does the Managment Studio have what the advanced version has?

Thank you
    Monday, April 20, 2009 10:05 PM

Answers

• ok it seems everything is sorted.

From the downloads page i downloaded and installed the (2) advanced. Then added features to get the SSMSE

The following thread really helped, there is a point a way down that says what to do in the particular case of a visual studio SP1 install and then how to upgrade th runtime SQL Express

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlexpress/thread/2b630866-f21b-4916-9b0d-790bd2cc8f16/

in particular this post
    "Thank you Mike.

Just to clarify for others who came across this thread, I wanted to install SSMS having installed the basic Express version that was released last week. If you download
    Server Express with Tools (SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU.exe for me) and select the option to add new features to an existing install you dont get an optin for SSMS. You have to first go to Maintenance, Edition Upgrade and run that.  I found the Upgrade option previously but since it didnt say it adds SSMS I didnt actually complete the wizard. If you complete the upgrade process however, then go back through the add new features wizard an option for "Management Tools - Basic" appears, which is SSMS.

Slightly non-intuitive I guess.  I thought the only difference between the Server and Server With Tools packages was SSMS, but its a two step process to actually get it installed.

Chris."

So all sorted albeit a bit complicated
    • Marked as answer by pelorios Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:18 AM
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 10:18 AM