BAM: Bam Portal and localization RRS feed

• Question

• My customer asked me if it is possible to change the labels of the BAM Portugal to another language. I started my investigation, hoping that that BAM Portal had support to satellite assemblies. Using Reflector I, I started to explore the code in BAM portal assemblies. There is an assembly dedicated to have the resources displayed in BAM Portal, however the code responsible manage resources does not support sattelite assemblies. The assembly that have the resources is the Original Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Portal.UI.dll. Using Reflector I exported this assembly to a VS Project and started to edit the resources (using Resourcer). I recompiled the assembly with the new resources and replaced the original one in the bin directory. Bingo. It works.

My question is: since this is a hacking, can anyone from Microsoft pronounces about support? Is my customer installation continue to be supported?

Thanks in advance

BFC

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 4:49 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Karloff,

thank you for your tips. My final solution was

- build a new assembly with the same partial name, with a different version and signed with my key.

- add my new assembly to the GAC

- add to the web.config

<runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
             <qualifyAssembly partialName="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Portal.UI"
                             fullName="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Portal.UI.PT ,version=10.0.0.0, publicKeyToken=5c4a9e96095a23d0,culture=neutral"/>
        </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime> 

That's it.

BFC

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:36 PM

All replies

• Very limited customization is supported. See http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa560122.aspx and more specifically, the following paragraph extracted from the above link:

Configuring the BAM portal banner

You can modify these items on the BAM portal page to display similar text and graphics about your business:

·      The Windows Server System logo, which is located in the upper-right corner of the BAM portal page.

In the following procedure you edit a cascading style sheet file (.css file) to customize the look of the BAM portal. Modifications to the specified classes are the only modifications supported. As much as possible, the impact of modifications to classes has been isolated so that errors made during the modification process leave the BAM portal in a working state.

Caution

Modifying other classes in the styles.css file will hide data and portal features, and may make the portal unusable.

To configure the banner

1.    Edit the BAM portal web.config file. To do this, click Start, click Run, type notepad C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\BAMPortal\web.config, and then click OK.

2.    The main page quick-start contents are replaceable by modifying the following line: <add key="MainPageContentUrl" value="~/MainPageContent.htm"/>. Change MainPageContent.htm in the value field to point to your own HTML file. The HTML file must be in the same directory as the web.config file.

3.    Change the page identifying text by adding the following line to the web.config file: <add key=”PortalTitle” value=”New Identifying text”/>. Change the value field to contain the text to identify the portal.

4.    Edit the BAM portal style.css file. Click Start, click Run, type notepad C:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2006\BAMPortal\Styles.css, and then click OK.

5.    Change the logo in the upper-right corner by locating the .headerLogo div class and changing the following line: background-image: url("../images/WSS_Logo.gif"); to point to the image file you have created. We recommend that you use a .gif format image.

6.    Change the Sharepoint icon by locating the .headerPageIcon div class and changing the following line: background-image: url("../images/btsSuiteProduction.gif"); to point to the image file you have created.

7.    Save the file. To do this, click File, Save on the Notepad menu bar.

8.    Open the BAM portal to view your changes.

As you can see, it explains how to modify a “label” (the Portal Title). Anything beyond that is not supported.

HTH,

Keith Lim - MSFT

Friday, January 11, 2008 12:40 AM
  • "Not supported" is hardly useful for international clients who'd greatly benefit from localized resources?

You could try using web.config settings such as
    Code Block

<compilation debug="false">
      <assemblies>
        <remove assembly="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Portal.UI" />
        <add assembly="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Portal.UI.DE" />
      </assemblies>
    </compilation>

or redirecting version binding
    Code Block

<runtime>
      <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
        <dependentAssembly>
          <assemblyIdentity name="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Portal.UI"/>
          <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-3.0.1.0" newVersion="3.1.0.0"/>
        </dependentAssembly>
      </assemblyBinding>
    </runtime>

If it doesn't work, you can trace down what's going on with assembly binding logger (fuslogvw.exe) tool.

I guess any appraoch which doesn't directly replace the original assembly should be fine by Microsoft in terms of support? Modifying the web.config certainly is allowed.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 9:16 AM
  •  

Hi Karloff,

thank you for your tips. My final solution was

- build a new assembly with the same partial name, with a different version and signed with my key.

- add my new assembly to the GAC

- add to the web.config

<runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
             <qualifyAssembly partialName="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Portal.UI"
                             fullName="Microsoft.BizTalk.Bam.Portal.UI.PT ,version=10.0.0.0, publicKeyToken=5c4a9e96095a23d0,culture=neutral"/>
        </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime> 

That's it.

BFC

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:36 PM
  • No problem, glad it helped you out. Though I might add, I'm still not sure whether it's supported by Microsoft SLA or not - it should be since you didn't really touch their assembly or modify any part they mention you shouldn't (web.config changes are allowed).

Also, it's really a pain sometimes that many great parts of BizTalk are only supported out of the box and they are quite stubborn on allowing modifications - even on 'non-core' assets such as BAM portal pages. Hope this changes in many respects with future releases.
    Friday, January 11, 2008 4:07 PM