How to Design a searchable area of a site RRS feed

• Question

• I want to design a part of our Sharepoint 2013 site that will have four different pages, each with a list of classes we teach.  What I want is a landing page that has links to the different pages AND a seach field that will search all of those pages.  I want it such that a user can come in and look for their class by clicking a link that will take them to a particular category of classes or use the search if they know which class they are looking for.

OK, I am fairly new with Sharepoint so I may be wrong with my design , but here is how I see it.  Make the first page with a table that has the general areas with clickable links to seperate pages with a long list of classes.  To make it more complicated,There are classes that are required for all the groups.  Those classes I woulld like to make as a Web Part that I can bring in for each category, only creating it once.  Then each category will have their own classes.  I'd like those to all be searchable from the landing page.

I hope I have decribed this well enough for you to understand what I am trying to do.  Any help is greatly appreciated

Wednesday, March 2, 2016 5:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Courbet- your plan sounds like a good way to set this up. Why not use the regular site search box? Using that will find any class on any page of the site.

As far as the grouping of required classes, I'd set that up by either using a category field to categorize them by class type/requirements, or use content types for that. You should consider having a master list of all classes that is categorized. Then create your web parts/views pulling from that list.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by Courbet Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 8:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Courbet- your plan sounds like a good way to set this up. Why not use the regular site search box? Using that will find any class on any page of the site.

As far as the grouping of required classes, I'd set that up by either using a category field to categorize them by class type/requirements, or use content types for that. You should consider having a master list of all classes that is categorized. Then create your web parts/views pulling from that list.

cameron rautmann

• Marked as answer by Courbet Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 8:26 PM
  • I will follow your suggestion.  I kinda get what you are saying.  I had not thought about using views to seperate the classes.  That is pretty easy to set up.  Thanks for your response.
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 9:53 PM