After upgrading from Windows 7, Windows Developer Preview is listed as an Evaluation copy - My cursor moves unexpectedly

Question

• Hello

I've done a upgrade installation of Windows Developer Preview on top of Windows 7. Now I find it as evaluation copy so then what about my license of Windows 7? While installing it do checked for the license key and it installed.

While typing the cursor is not stable, all of a sudden it goes to some line and continue from that position. That's annoying.

Where is the shut down option ?

Leaving the above 3 problems so far I'm feeling the new version is very awesome.

Anything and everything is for a period of time. - Sockkalingam
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hi Pankaj,

sorry for the late reply. Download and install Windows7 Enterprise Trial, it will remain with you for 90 days. Install WDP in a dual boot on a separate drive. You shall be installing Windows8 Beta, most likely by Feb end, do it as instructed on the download page, selecting to install it on the drive WDP is installed on. Thus you will have both the OS's to work on. In the mean time, get your Windows7 disk couriered back from India, select to install it on the drive you have installed your Windows7 Enterprise Trial by the time your trial period ends. You may also get your Windows7 key, borrow the same version of Windows7 disk as your own, use your licensed key to activate it.

Irfan

Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:22 AM

All replies

• Hello all,

One of our friend in the forum as given me the below steps for Power OFF. I kindly request you to answer the other two alone. Especially the cursor problem. 

Below the steps for Power OFF.

Power Off Or Restart
    A. Move mouse to bottom left of screen
    B. Click Settings on the menu
    C. Click Power, then Shutdown/Restart

• Proposed as answer by Mathew678 Saturday, February 25, 2012 6:09 PM
    Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:57 PM
  • Hey Sockkalingam,

I've split your responses into a new thread so that we can focus on the questions asked in your first reply. If you are seeing this from your email you can find your new thread by visiting the MSDN forums and logging in. Then click the My Threads link displayed in the right column to see your new thread listed.

Regarding your Windows 7 installation, you can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you must reinstall it from restore or installation media. If you don't have restore or installation media and your computer came preconfigured with Windows 7, you'll need to contact your computer's manufacturer to request restore or installation media.

Edit to add content: Windows Developer Preview is offered as an evaluation. Your Windows 7 license that was previously used is still good and can be used on your computer if you install Windows 7 on your computer again.

For your cursor problem, do you see this problem is both the desktop and Metro style Internet Explorer or is this problem occurring in some other program? Does this problem happen on all websites or just some websites? If it's only one some pages, please give a few examples of where this is happening.

Hope that helps.

Steven
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 12:34 AM
  • Hello Steven,

Regarding the re-installation now its not possible because my Windows 7 CD is in India and I'm now in United Kingdom for my studies. Not sure as what I should do now. Because we are helping Microsoft with identifying errors and so on why can't they given us a licensed copy of new OS when it goes live?

Regarding cursor its happening in all websites and even in Microsoft word. Even when I'm typing in this forum it goes somewhere and I've to search for it. Which is really annoying. Please help me with these issues.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Hi Sockkalingam

It is a bit late to be saying this but development software should not be installed over your only working OS. It should be installed as an additional OS in either a dual boot configuration or as a separately bootable drive. This version of W8 is the Windows Developer Preview (for developing Metro apps) and is not yet at the beta stage. It may not actually go live for a couple of years but expect to have to install future beta versions.

If you are going to continue with this I would suggest redirecting the main folders (my documents etc) to other partitions or drives to safeguard your work.

When W8 was installed, it would have rolled up the previous W7 installation into a single folder called Windows7.OLD or something similar. Do not delete or change the contents of this folder. I have not had to do this (Microsoft please comment) but if you can get your W7 registration key e-mailed or texted from India to you, then perhaps a computer shop could use a W7 disc to resurrect your W7 installation.

Anything and everything is for a (short) period of time. - Sockkalingam

Especially W8

Sunday, November 27, 2011 9:22 PM
  • Hello 

Thanks for the information that you have given but this was not said in the download review. If they would have said I'ld have thought about it and proceed further. If I do a system restore to a date before I installed W8 will I get my Windows 7 ? If yes will my license be the same automatically or I need to put in separately? 

As we are helping Microsoft why can't they give us a licensed copy of W8 when it goes live?

Regarding the cursor do you have any clue which is really irritating me.

Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:01 PM
  • Hello Sockkalingam,

This was taken from the Windows Developer Preview page:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps/br229516

Windows 8 Developer Preview downloads

The Windows 8 Developer Preview is a pre-beta version of Windows 8 for developers. These downloads include prerelease software that may change without notice. The software is provided as is, and you bear the risk of using it. It may not be stable, operate correctly or work the way the final version of the software will. It should not be used in a production environment. The features and functionality in the prerelease software may not appear in the final version. Some product features and functionality may require advanced or additional hardware, or installation of other software.

Note: You can't uninstall the Windows 8 Developer Preview. To go back to your previous operating system, you must reinstall it from restore or installation media.

To answer your questions:
    A system restore to a date before you installed Windows 7 will not take you back to Windows 7. The restore points are for the Windows Developer Preview.

Microsoft will not provide a licensed copy of the new operating system as you take the risk when you choose to download the pre-beta release.

If you are on a notepad, be sure the cursor is not jumping because of pressure on the trackpad. It can make the cursor move or jump. 
    Changing the sensitivity on the mouse may help also.

Marilyn
    Sunday, November 27, 2011 11:23 PM
  • Hello Marilyn,

Thanks for the time taken by you to answer my query. 

I was not aware of the above said disclaimer.  It's my fault but I can suggest what microsoft can do is as a recognition for people who support their product development they can give a licensed copy of the new OS. 

How do I change the cursor sensitivity?

Monday, November 28, 2011 12:01 AM
  • In answer to your post (BTW Notepad just minimised, underlying forum thread adjusted and Notepad expanded again, cursor still in position) there was quite a lot in the terms and conditions which you accepted when installing the software. Before that I am sure I saw somewhere the usual statement on not using it as the main OS for work etc.

I am not aware that a system restore point would exist for a point before the W8 installation. Look at the restore points to check. In any case it would probably need the W7 install disc to do it. The Windows7.OLD file I mentioned will contain all your settings, licence details and so on, so back up the file to somewhere safe. Meanwhile, as I said, get the registration key and possibly the disc sent from India.

For me, the fun is in taking part in the beta. Otherwise what you get out of it varies from company to company. Usually you can use the RTM version for a limited period (6-12 months) or maybe indefinately. Some also give you a boxed version. With regard to Microsoft, I used the W7RC for a comparatively short time and I could have used it for a further 9 months after release. The benefit to me though was that I was familiar with W7 before release and bought it at the prerelease offer price containing both 32 and 64 bit versions and none of the usual OEM restrictions. W8? Not seen anything yet to make me change from W7.

Well, This cursor is still behaving itself so I guess I do not have your problem. What sort of mouse is it. Perhaps the lens wants a clean. Also the surface it is on makes a difference. Mine prefers dark surfaces and does not like white paper.

Now copying this to post it.

Monday, November 28, 2011 12:29 AM
  • Go to the Start page, click on Control Panel. Scroll to More Settings.
    Click on Mouse.
    From there you can change the speed of the buttons to slower and faster.
    On most laptops, there is a sensitivity area. See if you can change it from this area.

Let us know if this helps.
    Marilyn
    Monday, November 28, 2011 12:37 AM
  • Hello

Regarding the mouse its not physical its a laptop so you just move around. Let me see. 

Will check for the Windows7.old folder for my license key if you can say the path it will be great. I mean exactly which folder I need to look in Windows7.old.

Thanks

Monday, November 28, 2011 12:53 AM
  • Hello Marilyn,

Is this change is because W8 is designed to work faster? Why I asked you that question it was not the condition with Windows 7. If I'm continuing with this W8 will the here be any harm to files and folders at any time as the product is not fully developed. In one of the post one of our friend have replied saying move the critical files to some other partition for safe use. Please clarify the same.

Regards

Monday, November 28, 2011 12:55 AM
  • [quote]

Will check for the Windows7.old folder for my license key if you can say the path it will be great. I mean exactly which folder I need to look in Windows7.old.

[/quote]

What I said was

The Windows7.OLD file I mentioned will contain all your settings, licence details and so on, so back up the file to somewhere safe. Meanwhile, as I said, get the registration key and possibly the disc sent from India.

I did not say the information was accessible to you. Even if you found the folder you would not be able to open it.

Monday, November 28, 2011 1:14 PM
  •  In one of the post one of our friend have replied saying move the critical files to some other partition for safe use. Please clarify the same.

I did say that so let me explain. Anyone using W8 with critical data will have a backup up strategy to safeguard that data. Usually this will include a system disc image and file backups to an external drive.  Some keep user files on other drives and partitions. This makes sense if the files are large and it also reduces the need for defragmenting the OS drive. My W7 OS partition only contains the OS and programs with associated files and remains fairly constant in size.

Now consider what will happen when the beta S8 arrives and requires a clean install (it may not). Your data is on the system drive - wasn't it?

Monday, November 28, 2011 1:41 PM
  • Hi all,

Finally I installed Win 7 Ultimate in my Laptop. Almost two days went with no use in installing Win 7 and updates. Need to install all software as well :-(

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:21 AM
  • Hi all,

Finally I installed Win 7 Ultimate in my Laptop. Almost two days went with no use in installing Win 7 and updates. Need to install all software as well :-(

hi... pls help... i have installed windows developer preview.... n nw i want to get back to win 7... how can i pls help...??

thanks... Pankaj Gera (pankajgera@live.com)

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Hi Pankaj,

did you install WDP on the same drive as Windows7? If that's the case please read the replies of Marilyn and Steven above. If you dual booted on a drive other than the one containing Windows7, your issue is quite solvable.

Irfan

Wednesday, February 08, 2012 4:15 PM
  • Hi Pankaj,

did yhou install WDP on the same drive as Windows7? If that's the case please read the replies of Marilyn and Steven above. If you dual booted on a drive other than the one containing Windows7, your issue is quite solvable.

Irfan

hi Irfan...

yes i hv installed WDP n WIN 7 on same driver... now it means i hv no chance to get back to win 7...

how should i do that... pls help...

thanx in advance...

Thursday, February 09, 2012 5:12 PM
  • Hi Pankaj,

sorry for the late reply. Download and install Windows7 Enterprise Trial, it will remain with you for 90 days. Install WDP in a dual boot on a separate drive. You shall be installing Windows8 Beta, most likely by Feb end, do it as instructed on the download page, selecting to install it on the drive WDP is installed on. Thus you will have both the OS's to work on. In the mean time, get your Windows7 disk couriered back from India, select to install it on the drive you have installed your Windows7 Enterprise Trial by the time your trial period ends. You may also get your Windows7 key, borrow the same version of Windows7 disk as your own, use your licensed key to activate it.

Irfan

Saturday, February 11, 2012 5:22 AM