Low performance on integrated graphic card

Question

• Hello there. My game is running very slow on laptop with integrated graphic card. It's perfectly fine on my desktop machine.

I'm aware that integrated graphic cards tend to be slower but there is not that much content on the screen and CPU is not using more than 7% cpu and 20MB ram.

I used GPUview/Very sleepy/WPT profilers and there is nothing that indicates any bottlenecks in the code.

Game is based on DirectX 3D shotting game with XAML. 

I tried turning on and off: all the game logic, physics, anisotropy, msaa, shadows, entire pixel shader. I tried different constant buffers (dynamic and default), updating them as rarely as possible. There is only 80 or so draw calls. I optimised my meshes. Updated  drivers. Reinstalled system. I tried turning off most xaml elements. I tried different settings in graphics card driver settings.

Basicaly anything can think of. It might slightly increase fps by 1-5 but i cant find the bottleneck inside my code. On max details game just drops to 30fps while it takes 1ms or so to render frame (using the timer added to msdn samples, XAML counter shows same data).

It all indicates that graphics card just doesnt have enough power with metro apps, I also tried some msdn samples and the performance is just terrible compared to dedicated graphic card. It works much better with Win32 games tho.

laptop hardware:

AMD A-6 4400

Radeon 7520G

I would highly appreciate if anyone could point me into some direction. (I can show the code aswell but don't want to share it with everyone).

Thanks in advance.

Lufi

Sunday, September 15, 2013 9:36 AM

Answers

• I really don't have any answers for you.  You might want to consider opening a support case and talking to one of our DirectX experts.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:44 PM

All replies

• My question for you is:  is this specific to Windows Store apps, or is it slow with DirectX in general?

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, September 16, 2013 1:50 PM
  • DirectX is slower in general but its acceptable considering device parametrs. Windows Store apps are "much much" slower so it feels like thats where is the problem.
    Monday, September 16, 2013 5:40 PM
  • I really don't have any answers for you.  You might want to consider opening a support case and talking to one of our DirectX experts.

Tuesday, September 17, 2013 1:44 PM