question about Windows 8 PRO installation for development RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello,

I would like to know if it is possible to buy a Windows 8 PRO copy so I am able to perform a clean install with its product key, whatever system is currently installed or not installed. I read some tutorials where they say it is absolutely legal to perform a clean install, but on the Store the Windows 8 PRO version it's written it is for upgrade from previous MicroSoft OS's. I have never had the Vista discs for my Acer notebook nor I made rescue discs. I tried reinstalling Vista with the codes I found beneath the notebook but it failed.

Now I have Linux installed, I want to be sure I can buy a copy of Windows 8 PRO that's mine and I can install clean on my computer.

Can you help what version of Windows 8 PRO I have to buy?

Thanks

• Edited by P5music Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:18 AM
    Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:17 AM

All replies

• According to this page on upgrading to window 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-to-windows-8

If you upgrade to Windows 8 and want to go back to your previous version of Windows, you’ll need the recovery or installation media that came with your PC from the PC manufacturer. For more info, see the Support section of this page.

If possible go through the stem restore to put vista back on the computer before the upgrade.  I would check with acer and see if you can get a copy of a system restore disk for your computer if you do not have one.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Yes.  

You can get a copy of Microsoft Windows 8 System Builder (sometimes called OEM version) at computer specialty shops (Microcenter, Newegg, Frys) that will allow you to install Windows 8 without having a pre-installed version of Windows on the machine.

It is what I am using to run Windows 8 on my Macbook Air under Bootcamp!

Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:02 PM
  • Thank you,

so I could be entitled for the upgrade version (once upon a time Vista was installed on my system) but if I bought an upgrade version I could not install it because Vista is not installed at present time? So what are all those tutorial about clean install about? However I have dual boot with W8 consumer preview. Is there any chance to get the upgrade version installed?

Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:21 PM
  • The upgrade version only works if you have an older version of Windows installed.  When using it, there is an option for a 'clean install' which wipes out apps, documents and settings, but I think that if you ever need to repeat the process, you would have to re-install the older version of Windows then re-apply the upgrade.  Also, once you install Windows 8, I think there are options to back up your system so in many cases you would not have to go through a complete do-over.

Your W8 CP version will not qualify for an upgrade.

If your other partition is Vista, you can replace it with the Windows 8 upgrade.

Sunday, February 10, 2013 2:36 PM