none
Deploy application withou .NET RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have to deploy an application  to my client, I used VS 2010 and the 3.5 .NET

well I think it's stupid to give my client a 2 Mo or 3 Mo application with a 150 Mo for .NET framework

I mean I think I dont need to oblige him to install the .NET framework, mybe juste some few Dll and evrything is ok, mybe with adding some referance and includ them in the manifes file?

any help please? (I'm uissing winForm dll, LINQ dll, and some other)

Saturday, October 2, 2010 10:16 AM

Answers

• This really should become a FAQ somewhere :-)

If you develop a .NET application, that application will require a.NET environment in which to run. Bits and pieces won't get the job done. You chose to target .NET Framework 3.5, which means you really chose .NET 2.0 with the extensions 3.0 and 3.5. 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 are *one* full framework.

As you object to the size of the .NET Framework installer download for your potential users, you could consider the following:

1. Retarget your app to .NET 4.0, which has a much smaller installer footprint. As you are using VS2010, this should be practical.

2. Remember that many potential users will already have .NET 3.5 installed, either for previously installed programs, or because it came with the OS (true for Windows 7)

3. Check on ways to check for 3.5 in your app's installer and to conditionally install frameworks only when needed.

For more information on 3., ask here:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winformssetup/threads

Saturday, October 2, 2010 3:43 PM