Compability option missing

Question

• In win8 there is missing an option "visual designs deactivate" in compatibility menu. I have program that have a bug in it and crashing in  vista, win7. but if you set compatibility to windows 98 and check option "visual designs deactivate" it works just fine. So why is this feature missing? I think, windows 8 should be able to run apps from past if win7 can. Or shuoldnt?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:51 PM

Answers

• Hello Messvk & Blue Fox,

If you can provide a product details of the application in question (name, version, publisher, download link) then we can investigate the problem further.

One of the changes that you have noticed in Windows 8 is that some of the check boxes in the compatibility dialog are missing.  The Visual Styles and Desktop Composition options are no longer available.  (Desktop Composition is the service that enables the DirectX based "Aero Glass" visuals.) This is because Windows 8 now requires that Desktop Composition be enabled at all times.  Many of the features in Windows 8, like the Metro UI, hardware accelerated graphics, etc require this service.  In Windows 7 it could be disabled by some older applications that would not work with Composition enabled.

In Windows 8 work was done to enable these applications to work anyways in the presence of Desktop Composition.  This enables applications that previously had to disable useful and important Windows features to work better on Windows 8 than they did on Windows 7. 

If you have an application that is still not working, we very much want to learn about it and understand the problem.

Thank you very much!

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:14 PM

All replies

• Well i know i had trouble installing a few programs but there should be a setting that disables High DPI. Have you tried that while running compability as windows 7?
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 6:57 PM
  • Well i know i had trouble installing a few programs but there should be a setting that disables High DPI. Have you tried that while running compability as windows 7?

yes, i did. I tried all combinations but doesn't work anyway. And if i put compatibility to win98 and start program, program is unable to open pop up window, like file explorer, its jus isn't working. This particular combination of compatibility settings is just missing from win8, and by my opinion this shouldn't happen.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:01 PM

yes, i did. I tried all combinations but doesn't work anyway. And if i put compatibility to win98 and start program, program is unable to open pop up window, like file explorer, its jus isn't working. This particular combination of compatibility settings is just missing from win8, and by my opinion this shouldn't happen.
    What program is it? And i know what you mean. Although the windows 7 compatibility was still a bit buggy when i was using RealTerm, it worked quite well. Does your program install any drivers or maybe missing registry keys?
    • Marked as answer by messvk Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:10 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by messvk Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:10 PM
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:07 PM

What program is it? And i know what you mean. Although the windows 7 compatibility was still a bit buggy when i was using RealTerm, it worked quite well. Does your program install any drivers or maybe missing registry keys?

Its a modified PovRay  that i use with DIALux software. Here is how it should work http://forum.dial-gsd.de/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=690&p=1676&hilit=vista+bug+pov+ray#p1676 

Well, this is i known bug in that program that developers did not bother to fix, just posted workaround that work fine in win vista and 7, but doesnt anymore in 8, cause that option is missing.

Bloke from MS in presentation said, that they took all tha best from win 7 and made it better, but thay forgot to make it with compatibility settings and made it worst :D hope they fix it in next versions. compatibility is a big issue that can make differnece between good and bad OS.

Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:16 PM

Its a modified PovRay  that i use with DIALux software. Here is how it should work http://forum.dial-gsd.de/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=690&p=1676&hilit=vista+bug+pov+ray#p1676 

Well, this is i known bug in that program that developers did not bother to fix, just posted workaround that work fine in win vista and 7, but doesnt anymore in 8, cause that option is missing.

Bloke from MS in presentation said, that they took all tha best from win 7 and made it better, but thay forgot to make it with compatibility settings and made it worst :D hope they fix it in next versions. compatibility is a big issue that can make differnece between good and bad OS.

I hope they do! I use the settings a lot and now most of the programs i use require it. I was only able to get 3 out of 20 programs to work.
    Thursday, September 15, 2011 7:18 PM
  • Hello Messvk & Blue Fox,

If you can provide a product details of the application in question (name, version, publisher, download link) then we can investigate the problem further.

One of the changes that you have noticed in Windows 8 is that some of the check boxes in the compatibility dialog are missing.  The Visual Styles and Desktop Composition options are no longer available.  (Desktop Composition is the service that enables the DirectX based "Aero Glass" visuals.) This is because Windows 8 now requires that Desktop Composition be enabled at all times.  Many of the features in Windows 8, like the Metro UI, hardware accelerated graphics, etc require this service.  In Windows 7 it could be disabled by some older applications that would not work with Composition enabled.

In Windows 8 work was done to enable these applications to work anyways in the presence of Desktop Composition.  This enables applications that previously had to disable useful and important Windows features to work better on Windows 8 than they did on Windows 7. 

If you have an application that is still not working, we very much want to learn about it and understand the problem.

Thank you very much!

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:14 PM
  • Looks like you're going to need to provide a Virtual Windows 7 capability then, just like Virtual XP!

-Noel

Friday, September 16, 2011 11:24 PM
  • Hi,

Maybe, you can force those compatibility features, you can make a Registry key pointing to your App location, for example, let's say you have an app in C:\MiApp, you need this application runs under compatibility mode for Windows 98 and also you need "Disable features themes" and "Disable desktop composition" enabled. Open a notepad and type this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
    "C:\\MiApp.exe"="~ WIN98 DISBLETHEMES DISABLEDWM"

Save it as AnyName.REG, import it and try if it works.

Regards,

Saturday, September 17, 2011 5:52 AM
  • I am also having this problem, using an old copy of Macromedia Flash MX. ( Version 6 ) -Although this problem is present in versions 7, and 8 as well.

The program will run fine under Windows 8, but when one goes to create what is know as a graphic symbol or movie clip within Flash, double clicking to edit that symbol, for example, takes you into edit mode for that symbol. With desktop composition turned on in windows Vista, or Windows 7, it interferes with Flash's vector graphics engine in such a way, that editing any graphic symbol is slowed down by about 500%. Not being able to disable desktop composition will break many, many graphics applications, and there just won't be a reason for me to upgrade if this is the case.

The other thing that really bothers me about Windows, is the whole wintab / wacom specification. Old apps won't work without a wacom  / wintab driver, and new apps that use the Windows 8 multitouch / pressure specification ( Artrage ) don't work properly with the Wacom driver installed.

So you have a choice: Install the Wacom driver, and have pressure across almost any / all applications, but screw up multitouch in Artrage and newer apps, or go driver-less, and not have pressure active in any old apps. Also, no built in ability in Windows 8, to just turn off finger touch while drawing with a Wacom stylus? That needs to change!

I'm a big Windows fan, but these recent changes are really making me doubt the platform quite a bit. Having to hold on to a virtualized copy of Windows 7, to run old apps on isn't a very attractive solution.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 7:09 PM