none
Beta Runtime Apps not responding RRS feed

• Question

• We have a few Function Apps configured with the "beta" runtime, which have been doing fine until today.

Now suddenly, the Logic Apps using them are failing with http error 503 (service unavailable) and even trying to view their "Function App Settings" panel in portal.azure.com takes a long time, before returning the error shown below.

This is happening on apps using the beta runtime in both UK West and UK South data centres, and even under two different subscriptions.

I'm desperate for any advice as these apps are crucial for our demos. (re-writing these apps for v1 runtime isn't practical in the time available for a bunch of reasons)

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 2:50 PM

Answers

• Richard, seems your issue is that your app is set to use 64 bits. 64 bits was never supported for Functions (i.e. you were running in 32 bit even before), but the difference is that with the new build, having it set to 64 bit breaks the app entirely.

Please make sure to follow all announcements on that GitHub if you're using the beta. Breaking changes are announced ahead of deployment, so in many cases, you can avoid getting broken by knowing what's coming.

• Marked as answer by RichardSQLDev Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:08 PM

All replies

• We are investigating.   Please confirm, your function app name prefix is "ar" and in UK correct?

Suwatch

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:32 PM
  • That's correct:

Function App names in one subscription starts with "ar"

Having same problem on second subscription where its "dn"

Thanks for checking on this for us!

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:41 PM
  • Richard, can you test whether setting FUNCTIONS_EXTENSION_VERSION to 2.0.11857-alpha instead of beta (in your Azure App Setting) helps?

See also the announcement for the latest build: https://github.com/Azure/app-service-announcements/issues/117

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 4:46 PM
  • Richard, seems your issue is that your app is set to use 64 bits. 64 bits was never supported for Functions (i.e. you were running in 32 bit even before), but the difference is that with the new build, having it set to 64 bit breaks the app entirely.

Please make sure to follow all announcements on that GitHub if you're using the beta. Breaking changes are announced ahead of deployment, so in many cases, you can avoid getting broken by knowing what's coming.

• Marked as answer by RichardSQLDev Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:29 PM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:08 PM
  • Hi David,

It looks like that worked!!!!

The the function executed OK when called by Logic Apps and I can now see the list of functions in the app again using the portal, where it was just throwing errors earlier today.

I entered "2.0.11857-alpha" as the FUNCTIONS_EXTENSION_VERSION and see the following warnings:

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:10 PM
  • Richard, while going back to older version does work around, the better fix is to go back to 'beta' (so you run the latest), and switch it to use 32 bit, as in my last response above. This way you stay on the supported runtime.

David

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:13 PM
  • Looking at the github link, this might be related to the fact that we have "64-bit" selected on all our Function Apps.

Should we perhaps switch back to "beta" but use "32-bit" for now?

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:15 PM
  • Snap :)

Will do ... really appreciate the quick response.

It saved my bacon!

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 5:16 PM
  • I did a quick test to toggle between use32BitWorkerProcess true and false.   Indeed, id 32bit is set to true, then SCM and Main functionapp site is working.

Suwatch

Wednesday, June 27, 2018 6:40 PM