Trouble adding Service Bus topic endpoints to IoT Hub RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Over the last few days I've noticed some problems with adding Service Bus topic endpoints to an IoT Hub. I have several endpoints pointing to different topics in the same Service Bus, but one was marked as unreachable after previously working. I tried resyncing keys, removing and re-adding the endpoint, and removing and readding the Service Bus topic and then the endpoint, but was not able to get it out of either the unreachable status or showing no status at all. I do notice that one of the 'bad' endpoints is now showing up as Healthy a few days later, but others I've added are still showing no status. 

I've tried using a different IoT Hubs and a different Service Bus (though all in the same Japan East region) to no avail.

Are there any current problems with endpoints, or is anyone else having trouble?

Thanks!

Joel

Thursday, August 10, 2017 2:41 AM

Answers

• Hi Joel,

Are you actively sending messages to the IoT hub that would send to those topics? If there are no messages flowing through the system, IoT hub doesn't show a status for the endpoint since it hasn't tried to deliver messages.

Please note that Service Bus queues and topics used as IoT Hub endpoints must not have Sessions or Duplicate Detection enabled. If either of those options are enabled, the endpoint appears as Unreachable in the Azure portal.

best,

Nicole

• Marked as answer by Joelby Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:47 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 10:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Joel,

Are you actively sending messages to the IoT hub that would send to those topics? If there are no messages flowing through the system, IoT hub doesn't show a status for the endpoint since it hasn't tried to deliver messages.

Please note that Service Bus queues and topics used as IoT Hub endpoints must not have Sessions or Duplicate Detection enabled. If either of those options are enabled, the endpoint appears as Unreachable in the Azure portal.

best,

Nicole

• Marked as answer by Joelby Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:47 AM
    Monday, August 14, 2017 10:54 PM
  • Hi Nicole,

Ah thanks, that must have been it! There might have been some glitch between Service Bus and IoT Hub which caused one of the endpoints to fail, but it is working OK at the moment. The 'test' endpoints I added do not have routes so they show no status at all as you've described.

I'll adjust our monitoring to consider unreachable / missing status differently!

Cheers,

Joel

Thursday, August 17, 2017 3:47 AM