certification in SP2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Today's knowledge is too little for tomorrow's job

Thursday, July 19, 2012 8:49 AM

Answers

• I can answer several of your questions.

Most peope don't install SharePoint directly on their computer because it requires quite a bit to run, like having Active Directory installed and SQL Server. That's a whole lot that has to be installed on your same computer that you use just to do things like sending e-mails and writing documents and surfing the web. For that reason, most people create some kind of virtual machine that they can install SharePoint on. That way, all that stuff like SQL, AD, etc., isn't installed on your primary machine.

That being said, if you use virtualization software, that means you need to have a little bit of space for your "host" machine to run. In other words, if your laptop has 4 GB of space, you probably need a little less than a GB for your laptop's OS to run, which leaves only 3 GB for your virtual machine. I've tried running SharePoint on that little memory, and you end up running into lots of time-out issues and similar problems. So, while I would say 8 GB is a miminum requirement for a production environment, I'd say you'd probably want at least 4 GB for the actual SharePoint environment, but that will still be awfully slow, so I recommend probably at least 5 GB.

In terms of virtualization software, you don't have to use Hyper-V. I personally use VMWare Workstation, but I've also used Oracle's virtualization software called VirtualBox. Windows Server 2008 comes in different "flavors"; while the one you're using doesn't have Hyper-V available, there is a Hyper-V enabled version of Windows Server 2008.

If you want to see how SharePoint works for cheap or free, try signing up for an Office 365 account. Your trial is free for 30 days, then after that you can get a subscription for as little as $6/month. This gives you a free SharePoint team site and a free SharePoint public facing web site. This will give you an environment you can play around in. Note, that if you're trying to learn how to install SharePoint, this won't help you, and if you're writing SharePoint code, you can only deploy what's called "sandboxed" solutions, but at least using Office 365 will help you get familiar with what SharePoint is and how it works.

Blog: blog.beckybertram.com | RSS | @beckybertram | SharePoint 2010: Six-in-One

• Proposed as answer by Hemendra Agrawal Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:26 AM
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:10 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:14 PM
  • You virtual machine will need to run your Windows Server 2008 OS, then you'll need to install SharePoint Server yourself on top of that, along with SQL Server.

Here's an overview of Sandbox Solutions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee721992.aspx

Regarding studying for exams, I put a couple of study guides out on my site a while back. Feel free to use them.

http://blog.beckybertram.com/Exams.aspx

• Marked as answer by sunny74 Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:36 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Where is your question?

Are you looking for sharepoint certification? If yes then go microsoft learning site. You will find all the information's there.

Check this link for sharepoint 2010 certificate:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sharepoint-server.aspx#tab1

Hope it could help

Cheers, Hemendra-MCTS "Yesterday is just a memory,Tomorrow we may never see"

Thursday, July 19, 2012 11:29 AM
  • Hi,

It seems you have not understood my question.

My questions are as follows:

1) sp2010 has very high system reqmts like 8 GB or more RAM(recommended).But what is the basic reqmt? Can it be run on 4GB RAM which is present in my Laptop?

2) The installation doesn't proceed on Windows 2008 server Enterprise trial.Why?

3) Windows 2008 server Enterprise trial doesn't have Hyper - V role for running virtual machine.Which server has it?

4) Any other option for learning other than installation of software or vm?Is there any site which allows one to practice & learn on sp 2010?

5) Somebody has marked my post abusive.How can I find out who the person is?

Thanks for your reply.

Today's knowledge is too little for tomorrow's job

Thursday, July 19, 2012 1:40 PM
  • I can answer several of your questions.

Most peope don't install SharePoint directly on their computer because it requires quite a bit to run, like having Active Directory installed and SQL Server. That's a whole lot that has to be installed on your same computer that you use just to do things like sending e-mails and writing documents and surfing the web. For that reason, most people create some kind of virtual machine that they can install SharePoint on. That way, all that stuff like SQL, AD, etc., isn't installed on your primary machine.

That being said, if you use virtualization software, that means you need to have a little bit of space for your "host" machine to run. In other words, if your laptop has 4 GB of space, you probably need a little less than a GB for your laptop's OS to run, which leaves only 3 GB for your virtual machine. I've tried running SharePoint on that little memory, and you end up running into lots of time-out issues and similar problems. So, while I would say 8 GB is a miminum requirement for a production environment, I'd say you'd probably want at least 4 GB for the actual SharePoint environment, but that will still be awfully slow, so I recommend probably at least 5 GB.

In terms of virtualization software, you don't have to use Hyper-V. I personally use VMWare Workstation, but I've also used Oracle's virtualization software called VirtualBox. Windows Server 2008 comes in different "flavors"; while the one you're using doesn't have Hyper-V available, there is a Hyper-V enabled version of Windows Server 2008.

If you want to see how SharePoint works for cheap or free, try signing up for an Office 365 account. Your trial is free for 30 days, then after that you can get a subscription for as little as $6/month. This gives you a free SharePoint team site and a free SharePoint public facing web site. This will give you an environment you can play around in. Note, that if you're trying to learn how to install SharePoint, this won't help you, and if you're writing SharePoint code, you can only deploy what's called "sandboxed" solutions, but at least using Office 365 will help you get familiar with what SharePoint is and how it works.

• Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Thursday, July 26, 2012 6:10 AM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Hi Becky,

You have hit the nail on the head and answered most of my questions.I now have few minor queries.

1) So it would be awfully slow if the virtual machine runs on a 4GB RAM machine.Point accepted.

2) Regarding virtual software you have mentioned about vmware, virtual box instead of Hyper - V. But will the sp2010 vm run/or get installed on the other sw's like vmware.

3) If I am writing sharepoint code I can only deploy sandboxed solutions.What is meant by that?

Thanks for telling me about office 365 Account. Atleast I can get familiar with sp2010 functionality and it will cover most of the topics for 70-677 exam except the installation part.Can u pls recommend something similar for the 70-573 & 70-576 exams.

Thanks a lot for your replies.

Thursday, July 19, 2012 3:11 PM
  • You virtual machine will need to run your Windows Server 2008 OS, then you'll need to install SharePoint Server yourself on top of that, along with SQL Server.

Here's an overview of Sandbox Solutions: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee721992.aspx

Regarding studying for exams, I put a couple of study guides out on my site a while back. Feel free to use them.

http://blog.beckybertram.com/Exams.aspx

• Marked as answer by sunny74 Saturday, October 6, 2012 6:36 PM
    Thursday, July 19, 2012 5:20 PM
  • Hi Becky,

Thanks for your reply again.

Your study guides for the exams 70-667 and 70-573 are very informative and would be very helpful for exam prep.

I was also looking for MS Press books for the above exams and found that although there are MS Press books on sp2010 there was none specifically mentioned as guide book or recommended book for the above exams.

The link is http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/Lists/v4FAQ/V%20Books.aspx.

In the absence of the above is there any book which would cover most of the exam objectives (if not all) and which provides hands-on labs/exercises on them.

Friday, July 20, 2012 8:31 AM
  • Hi,

I didnt get reply to my previous post.

Thursday, July 26, 2012 7:43 AM