none
CDDB entries update problem on installing new driver. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a server using FCoE SAN boot with Windows 2008 R2 installed on it. The machine has a network adapter X on it. Now i updated the driver, that includes additional entries for the adapter hardware supported in the inf file, and replaced the adapter X with Adapter Y.  I see that on updating the drivers there are no new entries created in the cddb(checked it before replacing the adapter and booting), and the windows gives a bsod with 0x7b bugcheck. The driver installation had gone fine, and i saw the new driver version in  the details.

Are there any additional changes required in INF file apart from the hardware ids to make windows see the additional entries?? Please help!!!

Monday, October 15, 2012 10:20 AM

Answers

• you need to plug in the new hw while the old hw is used to boot the machine so that the drivers are installed (in addition to added to the driver store)

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:16 PM

All replies

• you need to plug in the new hw while the old hw is used to boot the machine so that the drivers are installed (in addition to added to the driver store)

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:16 PM
  • The hardware in question is a network adapter that can only be replaced, cannot plug two adapter simultaneously. Any solution in this scenario??

Also, i am able to successfully upgrade the drivers to new version(that contains support for the new adapter in addition to old one), shouldn't the cddb entries be updated successfully in this case?? I have seen that if the entries are there in cddb(for new hardware), the adapter can be swapped without any issue.

Monday, October 15, 2012 4:44 PM
  • you can't rely on CDDB, it is an internal implementation detail. typically CDDB is seeded during device install. BUT, on Windows8/Server2012, CDDB doesn't exist at all (and hence, an internal implementation detail).

Monday, October 15, 2012 5:41 PM
  • But Doron, how do we ensure that a boot critical hardware is detected on boot?? As i said i had already updated the drivers to include the support for new h/w. Windows must pick up this driver while re-booting and detecting the changed h/w.
    Monday, October 15, 2012 5:57 PM
  • Hi Doron,

On further debugging this problem i found that the Driver Entry point is called for our driver but no device object is created and then there is 0x7b bugcheck.

On trying to fetch the Device object I see no device object getting created for the driver::

: kd> !drvobj \Driver\XXXXX-Driver

Driver object (fffffa8019802870) is for:

\Driver\XXXXX-Driver

Driver Extension List: (id , addr)

(fffff880012f5af0 fffffa8019802550) 

Device Object list:

On placing the breakpoint on DriverEntry, and then stepping through I saw following getting executed:

DriverEntry

IopInitializeBuiltinDriver

PnpInitializeBootStartDriver

IopInitializeBootDriver…and then a bugcheck error

Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:19 AM
  • Also, if i update the driver and then manually put the entry in cddb, OS boots without any issue. Ideally, this entry should be made when we update the driver in the first place, because its a storage controller driver and is boot-critical.
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:22 AM
  • network drivers are not marked as boot critical and won't be provisioned for use at boot time. If the system was originally installed for iSCSI boot there is some special work that happens during setup explicitly for that. i don't think upgrading the driver after os install gets the same special treatment.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:47 AM
  • Doron, is the same case apply to other OSes, specifically Windows 2012 server?
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 5:57 AM
  • 2012 server gets rid of CDDB entirely, so at least your work around will not work at all.

Thursday, October 18, 2012 6:33 AM
  • Hi!

Can you please tell me what is used instead of CDDB in Windows2012/Windows 8?

I am looking everywhere and can't find any informatiuon

Monday, November 5, 2012 11:37 AM