Connecting to universities SQL server RRS feed

• Question

• Ok hi i just downloaded SQL Management studio and SQLEXPRESS. All seems to be working. 

I have just opened a VPN between my home and the universities SQL server

what do i now need to do for me to be able to connect to their SQL server

I know my universities Credentials. i got the VPN IP address and i know the SQL server name

what now?

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 2:52 PM

Answers

• I was able to

runas /netonly /user:SERVERNAME\USERNAME "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe"

to connnect to my uni user cred but the guide i found was for 2008

and did it as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe"

and it worked as the uni uses SQL 2012

• Marked as answer by Desty112233 Wednesday, September 2, 2015 10:27 PM
    • Edited by Desty112233 Wednesday, September 2, 2015 10:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:45 PM

All replies

• Once you VPN into the university server, Then launch the SSMS to connect to SQL

Hope this helps ! ------------------------------------------------------Please Mark This As Answer if it solved your issue. Please Vote This As Helpful if it helps to solve your issue

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 3:10 PM
  • and how do i do that? i put in the server name but then it just says The login is from an untrusted domain and cannot be used with Windows authentication
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:23 PM
  • Once you are connected to your university through the VPN, I would first check if you can ping the university's SQL Server.  Just open a command prompt and ping the actual server.

If you get a response, then you need to ensure that the university's SQL Server allows you to connect to it.  I suspect this is the actual problem.  The SQL Server authentication is either through a domain account or a SQL Server login.  You need to check which type of authentication you can use to connect to the SQL Server instance.

Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:38 PM
  • I was able to

runas /netonly /user:SERVERNAME\USERNAME "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\VSShell\Common7\IDE\Ssms.exe"

to connnect to my uni user cred but the guide i found was for 2008

and did it as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\Ssms.exe"

and it worked as the uni uses SQL 2012

• Marked as answer by Desty112233 Wednesday, September 2, 2015 10:27 PM
    • Edited by Desty112233 Wednesday, September 2, 2015 10:29 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2015 9:45 PM