GUI design tool RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any GUI design tool which have Silverligh controls..?

like i use Design Studio to design layout of screens before forwarding requirement documents to developers, i can find any GUI Design tool which have silverligh look and feel controls.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:18 AM

Answers

• I prefer typing in the xaml myself too.  I find it the fastest way, but some people insist on using the mouse, so that was why I recommend that.  I can create the UI about as fast as I can type the text (and I type fast).  And once you understand the layout controls, it is very quick to get it done.

And as I said, when you are done, you have actual working xaml.

If you actually have some data and create a datasource, you can actually drag the fields and all the labels and the like get created and lined up automatically.

So this will be my last response, but my recommendation is still to become very familiar with VS or Blend and I think you will still find that it is very fast to do designs.  (that are FINISHED designs)

Good luck.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:54 PM

All replies

• Are you looking for Expression Blend ? 

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 2:44 AM
  • No, am looking for a tool to easily design GUI with silverlight controls for documentations..like we add screen layout in Functional Specifications... there are design tools available for designing typical GUI with standard controls like Design Studio but i want some with Silverlight controls..

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 11:59 AM
  • Huh?  From what I can figure, you want to create screens to go in a design document before building the application.  Correct?

If yes, then just design it in Blend or Visual Studio.  Then you can just grap a snapshot of it with Snipping Tool to put in the documentation.  AND you have the actual, working xaml for a developer/designer to start with.

Why create something in some non-real tool when the real tools are just as easy to use?  Especially so with Blend that has "prototype looking" controls, etc.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:18 PM
  • Well thanks for the answer, your correct about my requirement , i am already doing as your suggesting but just wanted to do it more quickly, and i use to use Design Studio to fulfill this need because its 50% more easier than visual studio to design in it.. just wanted to know if somebody know some tool for silver light controls as well... 

If anybody still get to know please let me know.. 

Thanks for the reply again.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:21 PM
  • I'm not familiar with Design Studio, but I can't imagine anything being quicker than drag and drop components from toolbox and resizing and moving them etc.  Perhaps you are trying to type in the xaml rather than using the "designer" of Visual Studio for instance.  Or maybe you have VS 2008 which doesn't have the designer.  But 2010 has it and it is very easy and quick to use.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 12:24 PM
  • Believe me it is quicker .. :)  , there are no property windows to define labels and texts, just drag any tool and you can edit the caption and add texts at the spot and many other facilities specially designed for this.. anyways using xaml is i think better way...

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:15 PM
  • I prefer typing in the xaml myself too.  I find it the fastest way, but some people insist on using the mouse, so that was why I recommend that.  I can create the UI about as fast as I can type the text (and I type fast).  And once you understand the layout controls, it is very quick to get it done.

And as I said, when you are done, you have actual working xaml.

If you actually have some data and create a datasource, you can actually drag the fields and all the labels and the like get created and lined up automatically.

So this will be my last response, but my recommendation is still to become very familiar with VS or Blend and I think you will still find that it is very fast to do designs.  (that are FINISHED designs)

Good luck.

Wednesday, September 15, 2010 1:54 PM