Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 and Oracle 10g in 64 bit environment! RRS feed

• Question

• User1790186146 posted

I have a web application developed using VS 2008... It creates & reads excel files (the creation part is done using the Enterprise Office object library 12, and the reading part is using the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0) when deploying the application to a windows server 2008 R2 64 bit machine we faced "the microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0 provider is not registered" error. So I had to change the application pool in IIS7 to enabled 32 bit applications (which make the web application run in a 32 bit environment) and this solved our problem...

Now we had another requirement that needs to retrieve some data from an Oracle DB after installing the Oracle 10g client 64-bit and redeploying the modified web application to the server I am getting the following error: "Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException.  This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed.", Once seeing this error I tried to switch back the application pool to run on 64 bit and it worked!

Now I am stuck, Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 requires 32 bit mode while the Oracle connection requires 64 bit mode. I searched in the net for a 64 bit replacement of ACE and found the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.14.0, but installing this requires removing Ms Office 2007 from the machine which I can't do because I am using the object library for creating excel files! So does anyone have any suggestion on how to tackle this? 

I have a web application developed using VS 2008... It creates & reads excel files (the creation part is done using the Enterprise Office object library 12, and the reading part is using the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0) when deploying the application to a windows server 2008 R2 64 bit machine we faced "the microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0 provider is not registered" error. So I had to change the application pool in IIS7 to enabled 32 bit applications (which make the web application run in a 32 bit environment) and this solved our problem...<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Now we had another requirement that needs to retrieve some data from an Oracle DB after installing the Oracle 10g client 64-bit and redeploying the modified web application to the server I am getting the following error: "Attempt to load Oracle client libraries threw BadImageFormatException.  This problem will occur when running in 64 bit mode with the 32 bit Oracle client components installed.", Once seeing this error I tried to switch back the application pool to run on 64 bit and it worked!<o:p></o:p>

Now I am stuck, Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0 requires 32 bit mode while the Oracle connection requires 64 bit mode. I searched in the net for a 64 bit replacement of ACE and found the Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.14.0, but installing this requires removing Ms Office 2007 from the machine which I can't do because I am using the object library for creating excel files! So does anyone have any suggestion on how to tackle this?

Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:45 AM

All replies

• User1577467205 posted

Try installing the Oracle 11g R2 64 bit client.  It is backward compatible with Oracle 10 database and has some bug fixes for the networking issue in 64 bit. 

Thursday, December 9, 2010 11:03 AM
  • User1790186146 posted

I don't think installing oracle 11g would fix my issue, reference to the post in this link the same problem exists... as we would have to run the application in 64 bit mode and this will break the code related to excel reading by Ms ACE OLEDB 12

Forum Link: http://forums.asp.net/t/1206004.aspx

Friday, December 10, 2010 9:53 AM