none
Outbound Batching... by Source Document Type RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

I am currently working with a client to convert their BizTalk 2004 Covast EDI solution to BizTalk 2006 R2.  This client sends multiple X12 EDI transaction document types to their trading partner.  In their current BizTalk 2004 Covast EDI solution, they batch their outbound EDI documents by the Source Document Type.  Covast gives you this option as part of the adapter configuration.

I am having trouble finding a similar option or feature when I am configuring the outbound batching at a party level.  What am I missing?  Is there a way to configure this type of batching on outbound EDI transactions?  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make this work in R2?

Thanks for your time!

Todd G. Hetrick   

Friday, April 4, 2008 1:53 PM

All replies

• bump

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 1:36 PM
  • Is it that you cannot get batching to work, or that batching is mixing different transaction set types in the same GS envelope?

Friday, April 11, 2008 10:54 PM
  • No, I can get batching to work... 

The problem is I need to separate the batches for a BizTalk Party by document type.  Essentially, we have a trading partner that we send multiple EDI transactions document types (210s, 214s, and 990s).  These transactions need to be separated into their own interchanges... so, all 210s need to be in their own batch, 214s separated in their own batches, etc.

Currently, I have the outbound batching working such that all of the EDI transaction types are in 1 interchange with the various document types in their own GSs.  While I have been told that this particular feature (outbound batching by document type) will be added in future releases, I need to find a work around for my current solution.

Thanks for your time and input!!!

Thanks,

Todd G. Hetrick  

Saturday, April 12, 2008 2:37 PM
  • Todd,

Without digging deeply into it myself, I can think of three ways to accomplish this that you can try. Bear in mind that these are my first thoughts on how I would approach this, and may or may not work.

(1) The easiest would be if your trading partner can accept and route EDI with different Application Receiver's Codes (GS03). Instead of sending all the documents to PARTNERID:ZZ: PARTNERID, see if they can accept PARTNERID:ZZ: PARTNER210, PARTNERID:ZZ: PARTNERID214, and PARTNERID:ZZ: PARTNERID990. In this scenario you would set up a separate party for each of the trading partner applications (210s, 214s, and 990s) and let theR2 batching do the heavy work. Since your partner needs the document types separated by interchange, I'm guessing it's because they need the invoices, ship status messages, and load tender responses processed by different apps and this makes the routing easier for them. This is one of the purposes of the GS03.

(2) Another approach is to use the External Release Trigger for the batching. In this scenario, you would have your system(s) submit their messages to BizTalk in three separate batches and send the release message to BizTalk at the end of each run. For example, send all the invoices to BizTalk and release the batch, twenty minutes later send all the shipment status messages and release the batch, twenty minutes later send the load tender responses and release the batch. Not slick from a coding perspective, but simple and effective. However, there is a possibility that if the timing gets out of whack you end up sending mixed interchanges.

(3) A third approach is to write an orchestration to prebatch the documents into the type groups and then release each group one at time. This approach would give you programmatic control over the document separation, but could take a bit of time to tweak. The good news is that you could use method (2) while you work out the bugs in the orchestration.

Talk to your trading partner to see if they can accept method (1). Sell them on the idea that this would give them the most control over the process and they could use it with other trading partners if need be.

Sid

Monday, April 14, 2008 2:58 PM
  • Hello Sid,

Thanks for your thoughts...

Method 1 does not really help me out...  Unfortunately, I have not been able to find a way to create a separate BizTalk Party by "DocType and Trading Partner".  You are not allowed to create separate parties that have the same ISA05-08 values.  And, also, we are dealing with Wal-Mart here which basically tells us how we should do business with them.

Method 2 could possibly work if I had control on how files are released from the internal proprietary system.  In the current solution, 210s, 214s, and 990s are dropped in a myriad of different intervals and throughout the day.  Also, from what I have been able to gather, there are SLA agreements in place that specify the turnaround times for responses.

Method 3 seems like the most viable option at this point.  Unfortunately, this is going to take a fair bit of complex coding that will essentially replace the intrinsic batching features in R2.  And, based upon the restraints laid out in Method  2 this only adds to complexity of this development.

Thanks again for your time…

Thoughts?

Todd G. Hetrick

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:10 PM
  • Hmmmm...

I've had some dealings with Wal Mart's SLA, so I know what you mean. Unfortunately, my clients' demands aren't giving me enough time to work through this (gotta pay the bills ;-), but I do love a puzzle and will probably play with the scenario when I get a few spare hours.

I'll have to noodle on it a bit more. I'm wondering if it can be done with send ports filtered on the group type, but feel that may be a long shot. I'll post again when I have more to add.

Sid

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 4:14 PM
  • Hi Todd,
    I have a similar situation now and we are 2 weeks from go-live when this issue surfaced in volume testing :(

I am wondering if you ever found a solution for this. Can you share your final resolution to this as I have to do this fairly quickly without much custom coding as my customer hates that and we have to go-live shortly.

Thanks for your time.

-amit
    amit kumar
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 12:52 AM
  • Hi,

There is no out of box way of having multiple batches (per message type) in BizTalk 2006 R2, so you could try some of the approaches mentioned above. BizTalk 2009 has support for multiple batches though.

Thanks,
    Upendra
    Thursday, June 25, 2009 5:02 AM
  • An upgrade was not a option at the time. So we did develop a hybrid approach and did custom Orchestrations to batch the way we want. In short I ended up re-writing my own version of batching. However 2009 and 2010 have the capabilities of multiple type of batches with different filter mechanisms which is awesome.
    amit kumar
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 10:02 PM
  • Hello Tod,

Have you tried this already: http://www.codit.eu/Blog/post/2009/11/10/Outbound-EDI-batching-in-BizTalk-Server-2009.aspx

I had a similar problem at the time and solved it using this approach.

Best regards,
    Pieter

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 10:40 AM
  • Hi amit.I am also having similar issues can you send me your own version of batching so that it can be helpful to me if possible.

sri

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:59 PM