none
Designer error using reportviewer 2010 in visual studio 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I converted a project from VS 2010 to VS 2012. Everything runs ok, but all ReportViewer 2012 controls show an error in the web page designer: Error Creating Control - Failed to create designer 'Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.ReportViewer, Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=...

The project references ReportView version 10, as does everything in the web.config file.

I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't see it. Any solutions?

HomePage.aspx

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeBehind="HomePage.aspx.cs" Inherits="HomePage.Default" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" Namespace="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms" TagPrefix="rsweb" %>

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
        <title></title>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
            <asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
            </asp:ScriptManager>
            <p>
                This is a sample web page to test ReportViewer controls.
            </p>
            <p>
                This is ReportViewer #1:
            </p>
            <rsweb:ReportViewer ID="ReportViewer1" runat="server" Font-Names="Verdana" Font-Size="8pt" OnPreRender="ReportViewer1_PreRender" WaitMessageFont-Names="Verdana" WaitMessageFont-Size="14pt">
                <LocalReport ReportEmbeddedResource="TestReports.TestReport1.rdlc" ReportPath="TestReport1.rdlc">
                    <DataSources>
                        <rsweb:ReportDataSource DataSourceId="ObjectDataSource1" Name="DataSet1" />
                    </DataSources>
                </LocalReport>
            </rsweb:ReportViewer>
            <br />
            <br />
        </form>
    </body>
    </html>

web.config

<?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!--
      For more information on how to configure your ASP.NET application, please visit
      http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=169433
      -->
    <configuration>
      <system.web>
        <httpHandlers>
          <add path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" verb="*" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" validate="false"/>
        </httpHandlers>
        <compilation debug="true" targetFramework="4.5">
          <assemblies>
            <add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
            <add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
            <add assembly="Microsoft.Build.Framework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A" />
          </assemblies>
          <buildProviders>
            <add extension=".rdlc" type="Microsoft.Reporting.RdlBuildProvider, Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
          </buildProviders>
        </compilation>
        <httpRuntime targetFramework="4.0" />
      </system.web>
      <system.webServer>
        <validation validateIntegratedModeConfiguration="false" />
        <handlers>
          <add name="ReportViewerWebControlHandler" preCondition="integratedMode" verb="*" path="Reserved.ReportViewerWebControl.axd" type="Microsoft.Reporting.WebForms.HttpHandler, Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
        </handlers>
      </system.webServer>
    </configuration>

Sandy Gettings

• Moved by Ego Jiang Monday, March 25, 2013 8:33 AM
    Monday, March 25, 2013 12:03 AM

All replies

• Hi Sandy,

It seems an issue related to Visual Studio Report Controls, I am moving this thread to Visual Studio Report Controls Forum for further support.

Best regards,

Ego [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, March 25, 2013 8:33 AM
  • OK Ego, we're in the "correct" forum now.  Can you get Sandy an answer?  I'd like to know mayself.
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 1:15 PM
  • It would be astonishing to get a real answer on this issue from Microsoft, since the same issue has dragged on since at least VS2008.

I haven't seen a reportviewer control show on a designer page since VS2010 (and that was after a few days fighting with the error and reading post after post of suggestions that 'might' help.

Monday, February 17, 2014 2:10 AM
  • Yah, I have become "better" at hacking the report viewer XML vs using the designer.  Mostly the problem is getting the dataset connection to ObjectDataSource.  It was nice being able to browse business objects to select the "SelectMethod" signiture, imply the arguments and update the data source.  But now all that is voodoo.

Another thing that bugs me is that the HTML editor does not recognize the web.config include of the ReportViewer control verses having the <% %> style in the page include.  The "rsweb" prefix namespace is not recognized by the markup parser, so it gets turned green even though everything executes perfectly well.  Minor issue, but annoying.

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:18 PM