Best approach of syncronization of QA data and Production data in Master Data Service 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• We have 3 environments development, test QA and production for our MDS installation. (Test QA and Production are clones of the development model)

What is the best approach of syncronization data from the Production environment to the test QA enviroment?

I have tested to create a package of the production model and it's data and then created a clone in Test QA after deleted the existing one.  After creating the clone one have to set up the user permission again.

Is there a way to export the user permission so it's easy to import them after a deployment or at restore to a different server?

Monica

Tested M approach and it works, Thanks
    Wednesday, February 27, 2013 2:06 PM

Answers

• This approach is not very orthodox but it is my preferred approach because I've had several headaches with deployment packages, in particular, if the model holds a significant amount of data.

1. Backup the your production database
    2. Restore it in the QA and development environments
    3. Repair the database using the Master Data Services Configuration Manager tool
    4. Run the [mdm].[udpSecuritySetAdministrator] stored procedure to change the administrator of the database, if you happen to have the QA, Development and Production in different domains, or the administrator accounts in the 3 domains are different.

This works well as long as steps 3 and 4 are carried out in that order.

If the environments are in the same domain, the above, unorthodox procedure, should migrate the security settings. If all environments are on the same domain, the only scenario in which you could have trouble with the migration of security settings is development sandboxes on Windows 7 or below, this depends on security policies.

Kind regards,

M

• Edited by M Vega Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by Elvis Long Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:57 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:52 AM