What is the trial expiration date for app that uses free / in-app purchase model?

Question

• I'm trying to switch my app from a free trial / purchase model, to a free / in-app purchase model. I would like to distinguish users who used my app using the first model, from new users using the second model. In order to do this, I was wondering, what value do free apps have for their trial expiration dates? Thank you.
    Monday, March 24, 2014 7:29 PM

All replies

• When your app includes a trial mode, you as a developer set when the trial period ends, there isn't a standard trial date available for all apps. If you look at the Trial app and in-app purchase sample: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Licensing-API-Sample-19712f1a you will notice that the trial date is controlled by the application.

Windows Store Developer Solutions, follow us on Twitter: @WSDevSol|| Want more solutions? See our blog

Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:49 AM
  • Can someone also tell me if the IsActive property for a product can be directly reset in code? E.g.:

// Note: the following does not work.
    LicenseInfo.ProductLicenses["AddressDatabaseFullAccess"].IsActive = true;

Also on the desktop, there is the File.GetCreationTime() method which can be used to determine when a file was created. E.g.:

DateTime fileCreatedDate = File.GetCreationTime(@"C:\Example\MyTest.txt");

Can someone tell me if the method, or an equivalent method, is available for Windows store apps?

• Edited by PDoug Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:57 AM
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 12:49 AM
  • FYI: I've been using the Windows 8 (vs. Windows 8.1) samples provided here. In those samples, I see nowhere for the expiration date to be set. Rather I see the example code use the expiration date which has been set, along with the current date, to determine how many more days of trial time, are available for an app. It would mean so much to me, if someone could see to what value(s) the Windows Store APIs set the trial expiration date for apps, that are listed as free. Thank you.
    Tuesday, March 25, 2014 1:24 AM