none
The Start Page is not keeping solutions that I pin on my recent list in visual studio 2015 (Update 3)

Question

• If I pin a solution to the recent list on the Visual Studio 2015 Start Page, the pinned solutions have a needle in front of the name.

If I open another solution, the new opend solution is on top. All other solutions are below. There is no diffrerence between pinned and unpinned solutions. If the lowest (oldest) solution is pinned or unpinned, the solution is deleted from the recent list.

How can I solve this?

In older Version like 2013 / 2012 the pinned solutions didn't disapear.  

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 10:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Sara

Just after my last reply, I looked in the registry after the MRUItems list ([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\MRUItems\{a9c4a31f-f9cb-47a9-abc0-49ce82d0b3ac}\Items]). I noticed that one solution was twice in the list.

So I cleared the list. Now it works fine (with 20 or 24 items) as settings.

I did not try your solution. This would have been the next step.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards
    Bernhard

Monday, January 2, 2017 7:27 AM

All replies

• Hi BernhardJ,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description, I tried to pin a solution under the Recent list on the VS 2015 start page and create new project or open existing projects, I found the pin solution move down until the last one, but it still display at the button even if you open more projects, please have a look at the following screenshot:

Have you tried to open more than one VS 2015 instance and operate this?

Please have a try with the following to troubleshot this issue:

1. Run the VS with safe mode:  open an administrative CMD window and navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\Common7\IDE and run these commands: devenv.exe /safemode
    2. Reset the default settings: go to Tools---Import and Export Settings… and backup the current setting and reset it to the default setting
    3. Run the VS as administrator: to excludes the permission issue
    4. Go to Control Panel—Programs and Features and right click the VS 2015 item and Change-Repair

After each step, please reopen VS and check this issue again.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:16 AM
  • Hi Sara

Thanks for the reply. I tested it. In the settings, I have 24 items in the recent list.

24 items recent list

The issue is the same with 20 items.

If I have 24 items in the Settings, the list has only 23 solutions after starting Visual Studio 2015.

If I open the solutions, the pinned solutions are at the end of the list. And the list has one solution more (e.g. 24) items in the list. Now if I close Visual Studio 2015 and reopen VS2015 the last (and pinned) solution is gone... See the following image. Between two and three, I closed and reopend VS 2015.

VS2015 recent list

I always open VS2015 as Administrator, because we use the local IIS for Webprojects.

Best regards

Bernhard

Thursday, December 22, 2016 6:57 AM
  • Hi Bernhard,

Thank you for your update.

Could you please try to set 10 (the default value) items shown in the Recently item and choose only one solution to pinned, then check this issue again.

BTW, have you tried the troubleshot steps that I provided in the previous reply?

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 23, 2016 6:35 AM
  • Hi Sara

Just after my last reply, I looked in the registry after the MRUItems list ([HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0\MRUItems\{a9c4a31f-f9cb-47a9-abc0-49ce82d0b3ac}\Items]). I noticed that one solution was twice in the list.

So I cleared the list. Now it works fine (with 20 or 24 items) as settings.

I did not try your solution. This would have been the next step.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards
    Bernhard

Monday, January 2, 2017 7:27 AM
  • Hi Bernhard,

I'm so glad to hear that your issue is solved and thank you for your sharing, it will help other community members who meet the same or similar issue.

BTW, could you please mark your solution as answer, that will help them to easier search this useful workaround, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 6:21 AM