none
Will the Xbox kinect be supported with the new software for the windows kinect? RRS feed

All replies

• No, that's the whole point of a new device.
    • Proposed as answer by Marco Shaw Monday, January 23, 2012 11:03 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Marco Shaw Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:44 AM
    Monday, January 23, 2012 11:03 PM
  • No, because certain kinect code for windows would take some significant changes in some areas to be supported on the xbox 360. You know the older versions of xbox 360 (non-kinect) only have 512 mb's of ram so some of the programs from the computer would not even run on that because of the amount of memory they would take.

Edit: im just talking about older kinect sdk programs and some gesture creation programs might not work because you would need an xna converter tool to convert to xbox 360 format.

If you search google i believe i found it in xna tutorials or directx website deep down somewhere. Also, those specs may have been removed but i will post a link if i find one.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:57 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Yes, for development purposes, the XBox Kinect is supported. You can read the blog at http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/archive/2012/01/09/kinect-for-windows-commercial-program-announced.aspx
    • Proposed as answer by Marco Shaw Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:44 AM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2012 10:01 PM
  • But does that mean their will be a converter tool for kinect programs made with the beta 2 sdk? Or XNA tool for kinect so I can program on the xbox 360 using the same sdk? If so my answer would be yes above.

But the other questions are can i order mass quatities of the kinect for my K-12 organization because we do have volume license software agreement with microsoft ?  Also, can i distribute drivers from kinect beta 2 sdk internally over my network?

But simply put you cant directly take a ms windows program and stick it on the xbox 360 because massive conversion between the xbox 360 and windows needs to be done before it can run on xbox 360.

Just two simple questions but the second one is the important one right now because the first would be answered when the commerical version becomes available.

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 1:08 AM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:58 AM
  • I was referring to the current Kinect sensor HW that is available for XBox 360. That sensor is supported by our SDK for development purposes on Windows.
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 5:35 AM
  • Okay then thats correct sorry i thought he meant programming for xbox 360 in addition to windows kinect programming. Sorry then yes its supported on windows.
    Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda
    • Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:17 PM
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 2:17 PM
  • Whoops, sorry I should have formulated more clear. I am only referring to development for windows, either with the old "Xbox" kinect and the new "Microsoft" kinect.

OK, so if the answer is yes, then I still don't get the difference from the two devices.

@Todd Ferkingstad: from this http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kinectforwindows/archive/2012/01/20/near-mode-what-it-is-and-isn-t.aspx blog post:

"This resulted not only in the need for new firmware, but changes to the way the devices are tested on the manufacturing line. "

Can't you just update the firmware on the old kinect then? 

"The lenses on the Kinect for Windows sensor are the same as the Kinect for Xbox 360 sensor, so near mode does not change the field of view as some people have been speculating."

So if there's no increase in range but just better ability to focus, what's different (hardware-wise)?!

Please be patient as I truly dont understand.

Thank you Marco Shaw, The Thinker, and Todd Ferkingstad for your replies. 

I checked the " Always Alert Me By Default When I Post  " in the settings, I don't need to be notified when I post, so I think this setting was meant to inform me on other's posts on the thread I subscribed to. Apologies for being absent. 
    Friday, January 27, 2012 7:56 AM
  • So if there's no increase in range but just better ability to focus, what's different (hardware-wise)?!

It means you can use kinect sensor closer instead of standing five feet away trying to get a correct reading.

I know that the commerical version will allow distribution of driver files and other important kinect files but can educational IT developers already deploy a customized installer with needed kinect drivers and files to computer images because i have windows images on a FOG server and have done other device driver images before and network installation scripts for installing a program with device drivers.

Friday, January 27, 2012 2:52 PM
  • So if there's no increase in range but just better ability to focus, what's different (hardware-wise)?!

It means you can use kinect sensor closer instead of standing five feet away trying to get a correct reading.

Sorry, Thinker, still don't understand. What it "does", I get it, I've read it, I've seen the graph. The answers I'm looking for would be something along the lines of "It includes two cameras", or "it includes an additional lens", or I don't know, additional HARDWARE, metal, not drivers, or firmware. So if there is a release of the drivers, why would I buy a windows kinect when I could get two xbox kinects for the same price?

Thanks for your patience.

Friday, January 27, 2012 10:23 PM
  • I was talking about a zoom device from amazon that allows you to stand closer to kinect using hardware. For instance, imagine standing 40cm away and  you move to 20cm like the OPEN NI drivers well with this hardware you allow the kinect software to focus into view your whole body when closer to the camera instead of it messing up your skeleton image and body recoginition/skeleton tracking.

Or instead of 40cm focus limitation you have a 20cm one but it depends on the specs of the zoom hardware which i havent tested but wish i was.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:00 PM
  • there is a difference in HW and FW, so the driver support is different as well. As a developer, you can do all your work on the XBox HW if you aren't looking to use any new functionality like near-mode.
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:06 PM
  • So the zoom device doesnt improve detection at all? I thought it just allowed the person to stand closer and added some enhancements to kinect. 

@ Todd

By FW you mean firmware right? I just wanted to know because i thought about using zoom hardware device that attachs onto the kinect itself and wondered if the 40cm or so limitation is purposely set or if i can stand at minimum distance from the kinect with the new supposed kinect thats coming out according to the articles at the top of the forum.

• Edited by The Thinker Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:27 PM
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 8:22 PM