none
Still no answer/fix for microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0 provider is not registered on the local machine. RRS feed

All replies

• http://stackoverflow.com/questions/17716207/the-microsoft-ace-oledb-12-0-provider-is-not-registered-on-the-local-machine-w

Michał

Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:08 PM
  • Hello mwwbutler,

Since you have already installed the engine, it should be ok.

However, there is one important feature that the platform of access database and the program should the same.

If your database provider is 32bit, then your program should also be 32bit.

For 64bit platform, it should be 64bit provider, too.

Regards.

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Papy Normand Tuesday, November 26, 2013 9:19 AM
    • Marked as answer by Fred BaoModerator Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:19 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by mwwbutler Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:33 PM
    Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:29 AM
  • I am restating the issue.

Target machine 64bit (win7/Win8) w/64bit Office installed. I want to deploy access db as x.accde/x.accdr. I can create the .accde/.accdr file as 32bit or 64bit no problem. x.accde opens and works well. However when my vb.exe attempts to access the database it generates this error "the Microsoft.ace.oledb.12.0' provider is not registered on the local machine". I use this in my connection string.

I tried this http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=7554F536-8C28-4598-9B72-EF94E038C891&displaylang=en

I tried this http://www.microsoft.com/downLoads/details.aspx?familyid=C06B8369-60DD-4B64-A44B-84B371EDE16D&displaylang=en

neither worked for me. Is there a 64bit data provider for MS Access?

• Edited by mwwbutler Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:41 PM
    Thursday, November 28, 2013 9:40 PM
  • If Microsoft Office is installed there is no need to install the Access Database Engine. You just need to make certain that the app is running 64-bit, since this is the version of Office installed. Make sure that the Platform option (Build...Configuration Manager...) of your Visual Basic .NET project is set to AnyCPU. This will enable it to run natively in the target environment (64-bit Windows in your example).

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

Friday, November 29, 2013 2:03 PM
  • Paul,

Thanks for your reply. I was hoping you did from reading other answers you gave.  I am using VB Express on the 64bit machine. I don't have a data source connected with the app. When I attempt to "Add New Data Source" select "Database" as the data source type, select "Dataset" a database Model, select "New Connection" then select "Change" to make the data source a "Microsoft Access Database File" it automatically selects ".NET Framework Data Provider for OLE DB" as the Data Provider.  Then when I test the connection I get the same error regardless of what platform I have selected. I did this to see if there would be another "Data provider" option and there is no other choice.

Friday, November 29, 2013 3:08 PM
  • I think the problem that you are encountering is that the Data Designer is running from a 32-bit app, VB Express, which would be looking for the 32-bit ACE OLEDB Provider. Since you have 64-bit Office installed I would suspect that the 32-bit version of ACE is not installed. The Platform option of the project does not impact the Data Designer, but the app itself should not encounter the same error if it's configured to run 64-bit. Does this make sense?

If you want to use the Data Designer then the 32-bit version of ACE must be installed. I noticed you have the link to the Office 2007 version in one of your posts. Did you try to install it?

Friday, November 29, 2013 4:44 PM
  • Paul,

Again thanks. I don't use the Data Designer it was just my way of seeing if there were other data providers on the 64bit machine to choose from. It appears as thought I need to purchase Visual Studio Full. I'll let you know what happens.

Friday, November 29, 2013 5:53 PM
  • Paul,

Have you seen this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982280/en-us

Would you say this applies?

Mike

Friday, November 29, 2013 7:48 PM
  • Paul,

Again thanks. I don't use the Data Designer it was just my way of seeing if there were other data providers on the 64bit machine to choose from. It appears as thought I need to purchase Visual Studio Full. I'll let you know what happens.

The Express versions of Visual Studio are limited with respect to the data providers that are available when using the Designer tools.

Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:23 AM
  • It's not related to the ACE OLEDB Provider issue. That is, it addresses an interop issue when working with 64-bit Office and automation.

Saturday, November 30, 2013 12:25 AM