App Update will remove custom.data?

Question

• Hi,

An app that is sideloaded may also a preinstalled custom.data file (in case of OEM's). When user updates the app to next version, will the custom.data file in app install location be removed or will it be retained ?

Moreover, can someone explain, if app updates are automatically available to the user and if there is no manual intervention required to achieve the same?

Thanks!

Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:42 AM

All replies

• App updates don't affect user data.

App updates from the store default to automatic on Windows 8.1, but users can change that.

Side-loaded updates are up to your side-loading system.

--Rob

Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:48 AM
  • Thanks Rob. Do you know if there are separate stores (like OEM stores) to post apps to or is it like everything is posted to windows store?

I understand the isolated storage will be untouched, does the same apply to app install location as well?(i'm just trying to confirm here because we may need the old custom.data for deciding our flow) in case of an update.

And is there a way to locally test this scenario? (I mean posting an update and getting it from store to see how it behaves ?)

Thanks a lot for your timely help!

Thursday, July 17, 2014 2:54 AM
  • Everything is posted to the Windows Store. OEMs can target their apps to only their devices. For more information please see your OEM documentation.

I believe the install location will get overwritten on an update. It isn't intended to be writable but should always have the same data as the current install package.

You can try testing this by installing your developer package with its powershell script. There is no normal way to post an update to the store and install it without making it public. Check your OEM documentation to see if there is a way to do so for OEM apps.

--Rob

Friday, July 18, 2014 12:07 AM
  • Thanks Rob!

So, custom.data will be retained on an update. Good enough.

I tried installing an older version of my app and then pulled the latest that's available in store.When i did so, Store downloaded and installed my latest version, but i'm not sure on why its not getting updated, my install location still has only old files, could you please let me know if i'm missing something here?

Thanks!

Friday, July 18, 2014 3:21 AM
  • You may need to save custom data to a special folder of app. In your code you may need to detect if this file is existed, if no you are in first installation, otherwise you are in update. 

I am think about cloud saving. That may be complicated. I am not sure if OneDriver can provide cloud saving. 

Friday, July 18, 2014 10:55 PM