none
[MS-SWN] Problem with the "CLIENT-MOVE-NOTIFICATION" for the Failover Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Im implementing the failover cluster followed by the specifications of [MS-SWN] and [MS-SMB2].

My cluster consists of two nodes, each node has one logic interface, they share the same authentication information and both can be accessed by the windows 2012 client.(e.g. node A(1.1.1.1), node B(1.1.1.2), they both provide the CIFS service and witness service, suppose the name is "CIFS", that can be accessed by the client by "\\CIFS", when A is gone, B provides the CIFS service to the client, vice verse.).

1. At the beginning, A provides the CIFS service. the client gets the witness list from A, A told the client that B(1.1.1.2) is available for witness monitor.

2.the client went to B(1.1.1.2) to register the "CIFS" and the IP(1.1.1.1), and requests the witness async_notify.

3.the server triggered a CLIENT-MOVE-NOTIFICATION to notify the client that the "CIFS" service has moved to B(1.1.1.2)

4.the client will reconnect to B(1.1.1.2) for the "CIFS".

To my surprise, unlike what we saw on the windows 2012 failover cluster that using the float ip and the RESOURCE-CHANGE-NOTIFICATION, the client would unregister the witness handle and request the witness list again from the new CIFS server.

the windows 2012 client still holds the witness registered handle on B and make another witness async_notify request. if i denied the request, the client would go to the origin A(1.1.1.1) to get the witness list! this is confusing!

what I expect is that client should first unregister the witness handle on B and request the witness list on B cause the CIFS service is on it at this moment. so I can move to whereever i want.

As the resource has moved to other nodes, I think we should rebuild the witness relationship for the new one.

How can I build the new witness relationship after I moved the CIFS service to B?

(what I use to access the CIFS service is directly input the "\\CIFS"over the "Run" window of windows 2012)

Friday, May 16, 2014 2:53 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Eric,

Thank you for your question. A member of the Protocol Documentation support team will respond to you soon.

Regards,
    Vilmos Foltenyi - MSFT

Friday, May 16, 2014 4:41 AM
  • Hi Eric,

I can help you with this.  Let me review your issue.  If you have any traces to send, please do so to me via "dochelp (at) Microsoft (dot) com".

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Friday, May 16, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Update to forum: We provided Eric traces from our [MS-SWN] test suite that resolved his inquiry.

Bryan S. Burgin Senior Escalation Engineer Microsoft Protocol Open Specifications Team

Wednesday, July 2, 2014 5:08 PM