• Office 2013 Pro, Excel

VBA Project References: 

• Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects (Multi-dimensional) 6.0 Library
    • Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 6.1 Library
    • Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects Recordset 6.0 Library

SQL Server 2008

Dim cnn As ADODB.Connection
    Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection

cnn.ConnectionString = "Server=servername.domain.com;Database=databasename;Trusted_Connection=True;"
    cnn.Open

This is all pretty standard and I've never had issues before, but the connection won't open.  No errors and the server/database and trusted credentials are all good (same I as use for SQL Management Studio).

I tried MDAC 2.8, but that didn't resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:34 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I think the connection string is wrong. You don't specify the provider.

You could use the following connection string to create a trusted connection to SQL Server.

cnn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=ServerName;Initial Catalog=DBName;Integrated Security=SSPI;"

Or

cnn.ConnectionString = "Driver={SQL Server};Server=ServerName;Database=DBName;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"

You could test the following code to check if the connection is opened.

Sub test()
     cnn.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Server=ServerName;Initial Catalog=DBName;Integrated Security=SSPI;"
     '"Driver={SQL Server};Server=ServerName;Database=DBName;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"
     cnn.Open
     If cnn.State = adStateOpen Then
          MsgBox "Success"
       Else
          MsgBox "Fail"
       End If
       cnn.Close
    End Sub

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:13 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I notice that you are using VBA for the SQL server connection. For further troubleshooting, I would move the thread to Excel for developers forum for more help:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=exceldev

They are more familiar with VBA codes. Hope you can find the solution there.

Regards,

Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 3:17 AM
  • Hello,

I think the connection string is wrong. You don't specify the provider.

You could use the following connection string to create a trusted connection to SQL Server.

Or

cnn.ConnectionString = "Driver={SQL Server};Server=ServerName;Database=DBName;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"

You could test the following code to check if the connection is opened.

Sub test()
     '"Driver={SQL Server};Server=ServerName;Database=DBName;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"
     cnn.Open
     If cnn.State = adStateOpen Then
          MsgBox "Success"
       Else
          MsgBox "Fail"
       End If
       cnn.Close
    End Sub

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:13 AM