Hardware development kits for Windows 10, Version 1703 (April 2017)

General discussion

• Install the latest hardware development tools to build, test and deploy drivers; test and measure your hardware running Windows; and customize, assess, and deploy Windows 10 on your hardware.

WDK: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-driver-kit
    WinDBG: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/download-windbg
    HLK: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-hardware-lab-kit
    ADK: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/windows-assessment-deployment-kit

Known issues for the ADK

ADK Drivers don’t install on systems with secure boot enabled

Drivers on the ADK Deployment tools will not install on systems with Secure Boot (SB) enabled.  To work around the issue, disable SB on these systems.
    This only impacts systems with Secure Boot enabled.

Manifestation:

A “Program Compatibility Assistant” dialog is displayed saying the following:

A Digitally signed driver is required
    Windows Overlay Filter
    Microsoft Corporation
    Windows blocked the installation of a digitally-unsigned driver. Uninstall the program or device that uses the driver and check the publisher’s website for a digitally-signed version of the driver.

Drivers affected:

1. Wimount.sys - used by DISM to mount and unmount volumes.
    2. Wofadk.sys - used when applying WIM images in compact mode, as well as single-instancing installed customization with what's in the ScanState package.

Scenarios impacted:

• Mount and unmount operations on SB enabled systems
    • DISM apply image with /Compact option on SB enabled systems
    • DISM apply of scanstate package using /SingleInstance command on SB enabled systems

Work-around:

Disable SB on systems where you want to install the Windows ADK for Windows 10, version 1703.
    Ensure SB is disabled when running DISM compact or SingleInstance options.

Known issues with the WDK

Missing files if you install both WDK 10 versions 1607 and 1703

Some WDK files are removed when installing the WDK for Windows 10, version 1703, on top of the WDK for Windows 10, version 1607.

To restore these files:

1. On the Start menu, enter "Apps & features" in the search box, and select "Apps & features" from the results.
    2. Find Windows Driver Kit - Windows 10.0.15063.0 from the list of Apps & Features and then select the program.
    3. Select Modify, select Repair, and then follow the directions on the screen.
    4. The files will be restored.
    Wednesday, April 05, 2017 9:32 PM

All replies

• When will the WDK support Visual Studio 2017?

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Thursday, April 06, 2017 3:36 AM
  • Any ETA on when the ADk will be re-released to support Windows with SecureBoot?

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Microsoft MVP in Enterprise Mobility (ConfigMgr/Intune)
    Now Micro - MyITForum Blog Posts - Now Micro Blog Posts
    If you found a bug or want the product to work differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click the up arrow or propose as answer.

Thursday, April 06, 2017 3:12 PM
  • Yeah I figured SecureBoot just had to be disabled for the install, but no, it must be disabled permanently.  We had to do the same with SQL 2016, that's a very poor decision to release with that limitation.

• Edited by agressiv Thursday, April 06, 2017 4:38 PM
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 4:37 PM
  • Hi Nash, That is still under evaluation and investigation. We'll update when we have more information. Thank you. Best wishes, Erin
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 5:12 PM
  • When will the WDK support Visual Studio 2017?

-Brian

Azius Developer Training www.azius.com Windows device driver, internals, security, & forensics training and consulting. Blog at www.azius.com/blog

Hi Brian, It will be fixed in the next release of the WDK, which co-releases with the next release of Windows. Best wishes, Erin
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 5:15 PM
  • FYI, 802.1x is still broken in ADK 1703.  It was broken in 1607 as well, but they said they weren't going to fix it until 1703, but it's still not working.
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 5:54 PM
  • Waiting that long is a really poor decision

-Brian

Thursday, April 06, 2017 6:37 PM
  • If what you say about 802.1x is true, I simply have no words to express my outrage. I have a thread about it and even opened a premier support ticket on the topic.  My TAM is going to get an earful once I confirm this on my own.
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 7:09 PM
  • Please test - with 1607, the service wouldn't even start.  For me, now, the service starts, but when I type:

netsh lan show interface

...it says there are no interfaces, so it's obviously not functioning, and my 802.1x authentications are failing.

Someone posted a hack for the 1607 ADK by copying a bunch of files from an existing Windows system, but I get the same result as the 1703 ADK - no interfaces.

I have an existing premier case too so I'll be getting that going again in case there's been some sort of change in functionality that needs to be implemented.

Thursday, April 06, 2017 7:28 PM
  • FYI, 802.1x is still broken in ADK 1703.  It was broken in 1607 as well, but they said they weren't going to fix it until 1703, but it's still not working.

Thank you for your feedback. I will pass it on to the team responsible for managing these issues.
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 8:19 PM
  • Waiting that long is a really poor decision

-Brian

Thank you for your feedback, Brian. I will pass it on to the team.
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 8:20 PM
  • Hi Cristopher, Thank you for your feedback and the link to your previous thread. I will collate these comments and pass them on to the team managing the known issues.
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 8:23 PM
  • Please test - with 1607, the service wouldn't even start.  For me, now, the service starts, but when I type:

netsh lan show interface

...it says there are no interfaces, so it's obviously not functioning, and my 802.1x authentications are failing.

Someone posted a hack for the 1607 ADK by copying a bunch of files from an existing Windows system, but I get the same result as the 1703 ADK - no interfaces.

I have an existing premier case too so I'll be getting that going again in case there's been some sort of change in functionality that needs to be implemented.

Thank you for your feedback. I am collating comments to pass back to the team that has the greatest influence over tracking and fixing known issues.
    Thursday, April 06, 2017 8:47 PM
  • Thanks Erin,

I have opened a premier support request and also started a new TechNet forum post here.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/289f8703-d0f4-441c-bb7e-63e71ae40b57/winpe-10-1703-and-8021x-problem-with-netsh?forum=win10itprosetup

Monday, April 10, 2017 7:44 PM
  • Wow! Just wow!

I am pretty amazed about what a mess this is. Just to get this clear: To be compliant with Windows 8 and up hardware has to have SecureBoot enabled: "Secure Boot must ship enabled with minimum of UEFI 2.3.1 Errata C."

Please put a big warning on the ADK download page about this show stopper. To disable SecureBoot is absolutely no solution.

Friday, April 14, 2017 12:30 AM
  • So does secure boot have to just be disabled on the sccm servers where the netboot gets created or any machine that is going to get imaged? It seems like the former which still sucks but a lot of servers do not use secure boot.
    Tuesday, April 18, 2017 7:11 PM
  • I found another bug to report while working on the 802.1x issue.  The certutil.exe application no longer works in the boot WIM from ADK 1703.  No error is thrown.  Instead, it always just goes to the next line.  It exits without output with a success code.  It is the same with no input, or various switches.  I tried copying certutil.exe from the full OS, in case there was any difference, but there was none.

Edit: I tried replacing certutil.exe and certutil.exe.mui from Windows 10 1511, and it actually works on the ADK 1703 boot WIM.

• Edited by Atamidos Thursday, April 20, 2017 12:33 PM
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 7:39 PM
  • It only needs to be disabled on the SCCM servers.
    Wednesday, April 19, 2017 11:02 PM
  • Wow, in every version of Windows ADK since initial release of Windows 10 are show stopping issues...

Any news about re-release date without issues?

• Edited by -Dietmar- Monday, April 24, 2017 6:17 AM
    Monday, April 24, 2017 6:16 AM
  • The post I started has been solved with a decent workaround for the 802.1x authentication issues with netsh and certutil. I have sent the workaround to the tech assigned to my premier support case and it has been closed.
    Monday, April 24, 2017 11:38 PM
  • is the ADK issue scheduled to be fixed in the next ADK insider release? and if so when ?
    Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:09 AM
  • Windows Insider Preview  Windows Driver Kit (WDK) build 16190 is now available for Visual Studio 2017. For more information, please visit:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowshardware/en-US/551a1dc2-413d-4f54-987b-3d9b0ed62a97/windows-insider-preview-windows-driver-kit-wdk-build-16190-is-now-available-for-visual-studio-2017?forum=wdk

Friday, May 12, 2017 9:05 PM
  • So to install the ADK for Windows 10 1703, on a Windows Server 2016 we need to Disable Secure Boot On the Server????

This is a horrible bug. Is there any response as to when this will be fixed?

Monday, May 15, 2017 7:19 AM
  • I highly recommend contacting your Microsoft TAM or any account rep to complain about this.  Unless the Windows team get's more direct feedback, they will not end up re-releasing the ADK to fix this. If you have the ability to open a support case, do that as well. The more feedback from the account side and the support side that they get, the more likely it is we'll see them do something about this.

Nash Pherson, Senior Systems Consultant
    Microsoft MVP in Enterprise Mobility (ConfigMgr/Intune)
    Now Micro - MyITForum Blog Posts - Now Micro Blog Posts
    If you found a bug or want the product to work differently, share your feedback.
    <-- If this post was helpful, please click the up arrow or propose as answer.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 8:46 PM