none
Publishing an application possessing its own updating and installation mechanism? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

I looked at the guidelines and searched the forum, but was unable to find a specific answer. I am wondering what the policy is concerning publishing an application to the Windows Store that has a built in mechanism to update itself and install extensions; specifically it would be an application built on top of the Eclipse platform.

Does anyone have any information or pointers?

Thank you.

Friday, January 25, 2019 11:20 PM

All replies

• Hi Quaeler,

>Publishing an application possessing its own updating and installation mechanism? 

If I understand you correctly, you want the app developer to control the installation and update of the app on the customers' devices. It is possible to be done now and it has different deployment methods according to the needs of different developers. Here is a simple update sample for you:

using Windows.Services.Store;

private async void GetEasyUpdates()
    {
        StoreContext updateManager = StoreContext.GetDefault();
        IReadOnlyList<StorePackageUpdate> updates = await updateManager.GetAppAndOptionalStorePackageUpdatesAsync();

if (updates.Count > 0)
        {
            IAsyncOperationWithProgress<StorePackageUpdateResult, StorePackageUpdateStatus> downloadOperation = 
                updateManager.RequestDownloadAndInstallStorePackageUpdatesAsync(updates);
            StorePackageUpdateResult result = await downloadOperation.AsTask();
        }
    }
    You could refer to Developer controlled app updates for more details.If I misunderstand your issue, please point out.

Best regards

Daisy  Tian

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 28, 2019 9:04 AM