creating namespace RRS feed

• Question

• User-1474096950 posted

Imports one

i tried to create a namespace but its giving error

Warning 5 Namespace or type specified in the Imports 'one' doesn't contain any public member or cannot be found. Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member. Make sure the imported element name doesn't use any aliases. 

i opened a new class file ie class1.vb

in that i cretaed

namespace

one

Public

Class Class1

Public

Console.WriteLine(

Function MyMethod()"Adding Inventory via MyMethod!")

End

End

end

Function Class namespace

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 4:27 AM

Answers

• User-952121411 posted

no  the Intellisense did nto show the 'One' namespace 

Can you scroll through the namepsapces and see any other project namespace or class name that is required?

or let me know step by step things fr creating a namespace a7 calling it in the page

Usually at this point I recommend the following: since it appears you are pretty new to .NET, I recommend creating a brand new project and using the tested code I provided in my earlier post and get that working.  At least this way you can see how namespaces work, and how it does work properly.  Then once you get it working, then you can go back to your existing project and determine the issue.  Based on your brief descriptions, I do not know the exact issue.  If you want you can post all of the code, but I still think using the test code I provided to get things working is a better option.

For some more information on using Namespaces in VB.NET, take a look at the following information:

Managing Namespaces in VB.Net:

http://www.fmsinc.com/free/NewTips/net/nettip40.asp

Understanding and using Namespaces in VB.NET:

http://www.vbdotnetheaven.com/UploadFile/ggaganesh/NamespacesInVbDotNet04202005005133AM/NamespacesInVbDotNet.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:30 PM

All replies

• User527778624 posted

HI

u have written one function which doesn't returns any value.

so replace that function with this sub procedure, and check.

----------------------------

Public Sub MyMethod()

Console.WriteLine("Adding Inventory via MyMethod!")

End sub

---------------

also check that it doesn't hav any errors.

--------------

Happy Coding.
    Mark as Answer if it helps.

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:00 AM
  • User-1474096950 posted

i used the same but still giving same error msg on import statement 

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 6:58 AM
  • User-952121411 posted

What might be happening is that in order to import a namespace, it needs to be the fully qualified namespace including the application namespace in order to be recognized.  Use the Intellisense in VS.NET to help with finding the namespace.  The following code sample does work without error:

1st, the class:

Namespace One

Public Class Class1

Public Function MyFunction() As String

Return "Adding Inventory via MyMethod!"

End Function

End Class

End Namespace

And 2nd, a sample .aspx with an Imports to that namespace 'One' fully qualified starting with the application name:

'Imports the Namespace 'One'
    Imports MyInventoryAppName.One

Partial Public Class WebForm1
        Inherits System.Web.UI.Page

Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Me.Load

End Sub

End Class

Hope this helps! Smile

Wednesday, January 27, 2010 9:40 AM
  • User-1474096950 posted

i used the same but still the same error

my application name is project1

so i wrote

imports project1.One

but same error

is any path to be mentioned

as my this class file is in app_code\vb\cl\class1.vb

Thursday, January 28, 2010 12:50 AM
  • User-952121411 posted

imports project1.One

When you typed 'project1.' did the Intellisense show the 'One' namespace, or did you just manually type that line?  If it did not show it, then use Intellisense to drill down to the proper namespace, and do not try and guess it.

Also, these assumtions are made in that your class file is in the same project in which you are referencing it from (by metioning it is in the app_code folder).  If this class is part of a separate project and compiled on its own into a .dll, you need to add a reference to it from the 'Project References' before you will be able to use it.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 9:20 AM
  • User-1474096950 posted

the class file is in the same project in which its called

or let me knw step by step things fr creating a namespace a7 calling it in the page

Friday, January 29, 2010 2:09 AM
  • User-952121411 posted

Can you scroll through the namepsapces and see any other project namespace or class name that is required?

or let me know step by step things fr creating a namespace a7 calling it in the page

Usually at this point I recommend the following: since it appears you are pretty new to .NET, I recommend creating a brand new project and using the tested code I provided in my earlier post and get that working.  At least this way you can see how namespaces work, and how it does work properly.  Then once you get it working, then you can go back to your existing project and determine the issue.  Based on your brief descriptions, I do not know the exact issue.  If you want you can post all of the code, but I still think using the test code I provided to get things working is a better option.

For some more information on using Namespaces in VB.NET, take a look at the following information:

Managing Namespaces in VB.Net:

http://www.fmsinc.com/free/NewTips/net/nettip40.asp

Understanding and using Namespaces in VB.NET:

http://www.vbdotnetheaven.com/UploadFile/ggaganesh/NamespacesInVbDotNet04202005005133AM/NamespacesInVbDotNet.aspx

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, January 29, 2010 2:30 PM