none
Not able to set desktop background through SIM (answer file) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have already seen some threats regarding the same issue, but the solution given is not working for me.
    Solution given is to give the theme name the same name, but as this could be the full path name or even the image-name including the extention I was wondering what should be entered exactly.

EDIT: Reason for new threat is that the other ones are pretty old.

Currently I have the following entered in my answer file:

</settings>
        <settings pass="specialize">
            <component name="Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup" processorArchitecture="x86" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" language="neutral" versionScope="nonSxS" xmlns:wcm="http://schemas.microsoft.com/WMIConfig/2002/State" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
                <Themes>
                    <ThemeName>D:\Images\Share\Themes\Final Design.jpg</ThemeName>
                    <DesktopBackground>D:\Images\Share\Themes\Final Design.jpg</DesktopBackground>
                    <BrandIcon></BrandIcon>
                    <WindowColor>Green</WindowColor>
                </Themes>
                <OEMInformation>
                    <Manufacturer>xx</Manufacturer>
                    <SupportURL>xx</SupportURL>
                    <SupportPhone>xx</SupportPhone>
                    <Logo>D:\Images\Share\Themes\[imagename].png</Logo>
                    <HelpCustomized>false</HelpCustomized>
                </OEMInformation>
            </component>
        </settings>

I also added the part of 'OEMInformation' as this also wouldn't be adjusted once the image is placed.
    The idea behind the OEMinformation is that our company name and logo also needs to be shown in the system information screen.

As you probably guessed already, I'm quite new in this imaging, so my apologize for maybe asking standard questions. Also don't bother about my English.

Is there also a guide which describes the all the groups in the answer file? (1 windowsPE, 2 offlineServicing, 3 generalize, etc, etc)

Thanks in advance for all your efforts.

Regards,
    Bjorn

• Edited by MteQx Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:44 AM Adding reason new threat
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 7:06 AM

Answers

• The theme name needs to be called some like mytheme.theme. The theme file needs to be placed in the \Windows\Resources folder. For Theme name all you need is the mytheme.theme file name, no path.

Try placing the JPG file in something like c:\Windows rather than on a separate partition. Also, do not use spaces in your file name. Final Design.jpg should be Final-Design.jpg. An error might be going undetected during the install about the space.

Also, are you using WES7's ICE or the WAIK's SIM tool. There are differences since WES7's ICE is what this forum covers.

There is a book for WES7 - http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, July 4, 2013 4:41 PM

All replies

• The theme name needs to be called some like mytheme.theme. The theme file needs to be placed in the \Windows\Resources folder. For Theme name all you need is the mytheme.theme file name, no path.

Try placing the JPG file in something like c:\Windows rather than on a separate partition. Also, do not use spaces in your file name. Final Design.jpg should be Final-Design.jpg. An error might be going undetected during the install about the space.

Also, are you using WES7's ICE or the WAIK's SIM tool. There are differences since WES7's ICE is what this forum covers.

There is a book for WES7 - http://www.annabooks.com/Book_PGWES7.html

www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com / Book Author - Pro Guide to WE8S, Pro Guide to WES 7, Pro Guide to POS for .NET

Thursday, July 4, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Hi, thanks for your clear answer.

On your suggestion I have created an theme file in Windows 7, with the background included.
    Also moved the background's, and logo from our company to the suggested location.

Unfortunately after reinstalling the image (ofc after the part with saving, and uploading to the deployment servers image) the background and company names where still not set.

Is it an idea to upload the complete answerfile on this forum, so you can take a look at it?

Don't know what I'm missing here..

Thanks in advance.

Friday, July 5, 2013 2:20 PM
  • At this point I would have to take a closer look at what is going on with the answer file and distribution share setup. Not much that can be done via forum, unless someone else has an idea.

Friday, July 5, 2013 4:50 PM