none
When (if ever) is Near Mode coming to the Kinect V2 ? RRS feed

• General discussion

• I'm mostly interested in the V2 for 3D scanning, and without Near Mode it is very limited. 

Are there any plans to bring Near Mode to the V2 ?
    Are there any optical hacks to trick the camera into registering closer objects ?

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 5:17 PM

All replies

• there have been no plans to release and was only available during specific events. If you provide you particular use case scenario, we can provide that to the team to consider.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:23 PM
  • Scanning people is a good example. To get facial features you need to come closer than the camera currently allows. Scanning any object smaller than a showbox would also benefit greatly from Near Mode. The previous version had Near Mode, so the Kinect team understands that there is a need for it.

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 11, 2014 7:39 PM
  • I would also appreciate the support for short range distances. We provide an accessibility solution using the K4W and are using facetracking to give handicapped people the possibility to control  a PC hands-free (http://kinesicmouse.com). People want to be able to place the sensor on a very close range (eg top of monitor).

Best,

Markus

Wednesday, November 12, 2014 3:31 AM
  • Hi I'm a filmmaker experimenting with the Kinect for windows 2, I love it. BUT I would really like to get my hands on the experimental near field firmware upgrade talked about here: if you google hackers-put-kinect-for-windows-v2-through-its-paces

I'm making a video with a really cool girl called Wendy Rae Fowler and we have done experiments with the kinect 2 as it is but want to get in closer. Her song is out at the end of the month so I'm under some pressure to realize our creative vision. It would be amazing if someone could advise me on how to open up the near view potential.

image reference [instagram .com/p/uitOn2NTn2/]

Can anybody assist? Thanks

Barry
    Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:05 PM
  • I would like to have this feature too as we need to scan people's head to capture all the features of the face. It would really help to have a near mode which can capture more facial features.

Thanks,

Santosh

Thursday, November 13, 2014 2:06 PM
  • The near field device was experimental hardware and software we brought to hackathons but did not have plans to release to the public. I merged your thread with the others, to gather the feedback on the request to provide to the team.

Carmine Sirignano - MSFT

Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:32 PM