Workflow in a SharePoint Online list creates other items in other SharePoint Online lists but their workflow never starts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I'm using SharePoint Online, and the workflows are created using SharePoint Designer 2013 (linked to the Site Collections in the SharePoint Online tenant).

The problem is as follows:

• I have created two lists in a site collection (SharePoint Online - tenant)
    • One of them is a calendar, and when the ítem is created then it starts a workflow.
    • The workflow creates other ítems in another list, which have another workflow associated.
    • The workflow in both lists are defined to start when an ítem is created.
    • So, in theory, in the second list a workflow should be started for each ítem created by the other workflow (first list)

The problem is that the workflow in the first list works fine, but the workflows in the second list never start, even though the ítems are created correctly by the first list workflow.

I've already read that whether the item is created by the system then the workflows do not start; I've checked already that if I change the Start workflow settings to Update Item, and then I update by hand, then the workflow starts.

But this isn't what I need, I need all these workflows starting when the ítems are created in the other list, the only list where I should take care is only the first list, the other one should be automatic.

Is there any way to make it working?

I've been reading, too, about a possible solution, but it doesn't work, I get an error in the first line.I'm really stuck in this issue, has anyone an idea about how to solve it?

Here you have the Workflows and the posible solution:

Thank you for your help,

José Espases

Thursday, June 4, 2015 1:38 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi José,

It is by design that 2013 workflow cannot be triggered by the new items which are created by another 2013 workflow.

As a workaround, I recommend to use 2010 workflow instead.

Please refer to the link below for more details about SharePoint 2010 workflow platform:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/jj822977.aspx

Best regards,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 5, 2015 10:00 AM
  • Hi Victoria,

thanks for the answer.

Yes, using 2010 workflow it works, the workflow starts, but now there are some functionalities that are not there anymore, like the possibility to go up and down between the stages I created (Go to Stage) depending on one condition.

So this workaround leaves me in a worse situation than before... It's really a pity to be obliged to go back to 2010 to do something that was very usefull because it has disappeared in 2013 workflow.

Do you know any other solution for this issue or, do you know how can I move between stages in 2010 workflows?

José Espases

Monday, June 8, 2015 7:58 AM
  • Hi José,

SharePoint 2010 workflow platform does not support stages as SharePoint 2013 workflow does.

So you may need to use code to start another 2013 workflow after the item is created in the list by the first 2013 workflow.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn481315.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

http://www.ericgregorich.com/blog/2014/10/1/starting-a-sharepoint-2013-workflow-programmatically-using-javascript

Best regards,

Victoria

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 9, 2015 1:42 AM