none
Missing Image in part of the large pdf file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, All

I create a report and export it to PDF file. There are about 3 thousand pages in the PDF file. Two images are in the report, one image's size is 5K, the other one is 19K.

The strange thing is that in the pdf file,  the small image shows in all 3000 pages, the big image just shows up in the first 700 pages, not shows in the rest pages, but in those pages there is an empty image object taking the  big image's  location.  No error message.

I just wonder changing the SSRS configuration may handle this case.

Any help, Thanks.

Friday, August 17, 2007 6:52 PM

Answers

• There are many ways to add images to a report you could try calling the bigger image from a database and use a rectangle so you know the image will be in all required pages. I am assuming you know there are different requirements for images in a report header. The image control is clone of Visio shape which means you can adjust it and it also comes with settings you can use to stop growth of the image, the individual controls properties are best accessed through the report drop down in design view. I also don't think it is practical to expect export of 3000 pages to PDF to be smooth without device setting in your report. Try the link below for more about report page and device setting.

http://blogs.msdn.com/bwelcker/archive/2005/08/19/Alien-Lanes-_2800_Logical-and-Physical-Pagination-Rules_2900_.aspx

Saturday, August 18, 2007 5:26 PM

All replies

• There are many ways to add images to a report you could try calling the bigger image from a database and use a rectangle so you know the image will be in all required pages. I am assuming you know there are different requirements for images in a report header. The image control is clone of Visio shape which means you can adjust it and it also comes with settings you can use to stop growth of the image, the individual controls properties are best accessed through the report drop down in design view. I also don't think it is practical to expect export of 3000 pages to PDF to be smooth without device setting in your report. Try the link below for more about report page and device setting.

http://blogs.msdn.com/bwelcker/archive/2005/08/19/Alien-Lanes-_2800_Logical-and-Physical-Pagination-Rules_2900_.aspx

Saturday, August 18, 2007 5:26 PM
  • Did this issue ever get resolved.  I am having a similar problem.  See 
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/669d3030-7da1-47fa-819e-552562c59f1b/
    Tuesday, December 23, 2008 11:53 PM
  • I have talked to the product owners within SQL Server who refused to accept it as a bug so here is what you may try.

If size is not an issue the extra page goes away if you increase the display size and dimension but if your images are fixed it may not look good.

Asp.net MVP, MCPD Web C#, MCTS TFS, MCITP BI and DBA
    • Edited by Caddre Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:38 PM error
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 8:20 PM
  • There are no extra pages.   The pages are exactly the way they should be, just missing the image in some of them.  Look at my other thread I posted by searching my user name karlo123.

Thanks,
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 8:46 PM
  • Yes I saw that in your other thread there two ways to fix it move the images to your project meaning you need a separate image for each report.  The other option is to put the image in a database load it to a rectangle control and display it.  There is existing code for the last option in the SQL Server 2005 Reporting samples at codeplex.

But if some images are hidden you risk extra in the PDF export.

Sunday, December 28, 2008 10:08 PM
  • I have used the rectangle and it is worse.  The image appears in even fewer pages.  Also, Visual Studio shows a warning that the rectangle is overlapping the image.  Currently the location of this image comes from a database field.  The entire image is not in the database but instead the location link is.  I doesnt seem like good practice to use a page type field in my database because of the memory that SQL would need to use and there may be millions of images. 
    Monday, December 29, 2008 6:56 PM
  •  

The image ‘image1’ and the rectangle ‘rectangle5’ overlap. Overlapping report items are not supported in all renderers.

Build complete -- 0 errors, 1 warnings

Monday, December 29, 2008 7:23 PM
  •  I am only using Sql Reporting Services with PDF export.  The images already show up no-problem before I export to PDF, it is just the PDF file that is missing the image on some pages.
    Monday, December 29, 2008 7:30 PM
  • The red X means your image is too big I remember I had to ask for .gif instead of .jpeg file in some of my images.  That is still the reason for the rectangle error.  You need to reduce the size of the image.  Check the blog post below it helped me to make adjustments.

And I think you may not have this issue in SQL Server 2008 because there is a new stream storage for binary files when using the Vabinary(max) data type.

http://blog.toddtaylor.com/PermaLink,guid,b1517702-ad4b-48e1-a6e3-b736e8a982cb.aspx
    Monday, December 29, 2008 7:43 PM
  • I set the image propertys to FIT.  Also, the image is exactly the same for every page.  I think we are loosing something in translation.  I have a report that is 146 pages.  It is built from a 73 record query.  So each record is 2 pages long in the report, thus the 146 page report.  The image is on the top of page 1 of the 2 page per record report. So every other page has the same exact image.  On some of the pages is doesnt show up and then it begins to show up agian later.  I will look at your link.
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 8:48 PM
  • Nobody is answering the other thread so I have posted this answer there also.

I don't understand why you will use two pages for one because export to PDF works better if your page setting it bigger than 8/11. I am also hoping you know image in the header comes with different requirements if your reports image is in the header of page one.

And 146 pages is a very small report because I have written some that default to almost 200 pages in test server.

Here is code to Exporting a SQL Server Reporting Services 2005 Report Directly to PDF or Excel 

http://weblogs.asp.net/srkirkland/archive/2007/10/29/exporting-a-sql-server-reporting-services-2005-report-directly-to-pdf-or-excel.aspx

Win2003 is IIS6 which comes locked down to render only Html so here are the default folder permissions.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/812614

MCPD Web C#, MCTS TFS, MCITP BI and DBA
    Friday, January 2, 2009 9:28 PM
  • You connected these threads so I will connect both as you know you did not get any contructive reply in the other thread.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/sqlreportingservices/thread/669d3030-7da1-47fa-819e-552562c59f1b

MCPD Web C#, MCTS TFS, MCITP BI and DBA
    Sunday, January 4, 2009 3:48 PM