Transaction Log Format RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any documentation that shows the format of the transaction log file? Are there any example programs that show how to read the log file?
    Thursday, January 5, 2006 5:20 PM

Answers

• The internal contents of the transaction log are not documented for public use.

Is there a particular problem or feature that you need? There are third party products that use the log internals for auditing and other features.

Thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:57 PM

All replies

• Please visit following Article. It will help you to understand format of SQL Server Transaction Log File.

http://www.windowsitlibrary.com/Content/77/21/1.html

Saturday, January 7, 2006 5:38 AM
  • The internal contents of the transaction log are not documented for public use.

Is there a particular problem or feature that you need? There are third party products that use the log internals for auditing and other features.

Thanks,

Mark

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:57 PM

Thanks,

Mark

So where did those parties got that info? Do you have to pay money or know some people? That is not a joking question. I would really like to know and get on it, since for 5 years now these tools where flaky as ____. As of this moment the only tool supporting 2008 logs ApexSql doesn't even show transactions right.
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 6:19 PM
  • http://www.sqlskills.com/BLOGS/PAUL/post/Should-Microsoft-provide-a-transaction-log-reader-tool.aspx

Quote:

If anything, I'd like to see the existing tools be made to work in all circumstances. AFAIK there isn't a log reader tool on the market today that copes with absolutely everything 2005 can put into the log. Although the log internals are supposedly proprietary, there's an internals document that Microsoft licenses for free (at least when I was on the team until last summer) to companies wishing to build such tools, and they're not *secret*. There's plenty of info about the log internals on the web (some provided by me) and you can poke about to your heart's content using the undocumented tools (that's what DBCC LOG and fn_dblog are for).

Saturday, April 7, 2012 6:45 AM