Twirling Smoke Effect RRS feed

• Question

• I found a great tutorial this morning on creating a twirling smoke effect in Expression Design. I know someone, several months ago, asked a question here about how to do this. The tutorial is here.

Just a reminder to Twitter fans, follow @MSExpression on Twitter for informative posts on Expression Design and other Expression products.

Annie
    Monday, October 19, 2009 5:20 PM

All replies

• Nice find Annie,

I was looking for something along these lines - a swirl/faded graphic for my company website   ;)
    They give a nice feel and look well faded in the background of a webpage

Thanks
    Paul
    Monday, October 19, 2009 6:08 PM
  • Glad you liked it, paullyie. Share the link to any images you create using the tutorial, if you'd like. We always like to see Design work here.
    Annie
    Monday, October 19, 2009 7:18 PM
  • very easy tutorial quickly done
    I used the b spline pen tool
     thanks Annie
      proof
    • Edited by germaine1 Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:39 PM link added
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 4:03 PM

• here a test I did I draw a line with the b spline  tool copied 3 times and used different colors for the lines
    I rotated them select in the layer palette one line click the selection arrow first one and you can drag the rotation point where you want in the beginning it is a bit tricky I show here what you need to see
    the lines I did the transparancy to 25% I first did a blend between 2 lines 1 step and set this new line to 0 transparancy
    one line I forgot to set to 0 you can see the difference you can experiment yourself what you like
    selected the 3 lines and did blend 100 steps
    restarted with the next lines
    I work in design 1
    but I guess design 3 is the same
    I am not good in tuts
    here some files proofs

• Edited by germaine1 Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:56 AM added text
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:48 AM
  • Nicely done Germaine
    Every time I see a tutorial like this on Design i'm surprised with the great graphics it can produce.
    I seriousily need to get more involved with all the various settings and fx etc..

Cheers,
    Paul

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:42 AM
  • Paullyie
    I still am learning a lot I came in the group about 4 or 5 years ago
    and those who were in the group since the beginning know how I needed help thanks to them I have learned a lot some like Fred ,Annie and Deebs are still in the group and some left
    what for me can be of some help is when I work in a design program to not forget what I have done is take printscreens and paste them in a word document adding some notes how I did it otherwise I often forget
    greetings

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 11:13 AM
  • Very neat dude!  Very, very neat germaine.

In this one I tried different strokes with blend modes on the groups generated by Blend Paths algorithms.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:53 PM
  • :-)

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:11 PM
  • Ooops!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Deebs

nice one
    I posted mine in the gallery and added another were I used bevel on
    greetings

paullyie

I saw your work in the gallery very nice
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:02 PM

• paullyie

I saw your work in the gallery very nice

germaine, I would love to take credit for some of the great work in the gallery,
    but unfortunatly I have not subitted any work to the galleries yet (not that I recall anyway)...lol

I have been doing a lot of doodling and playing around with Design - trying to get to know the tools
    As soon as I have something half decent i'll submit it and get your professional opinion ;)

Cheers
    Paul
    Monday, October 26, 2009 8:38 PM
  • sorry
    to Apaulio
    I made the mistake I like your work very nice

Apaulio s work
    Tuesday, October 27, 2009 8:25 AM
  • Thanks germaine1 :) 

+ nice one Annie for pointing out the blend path tool also :) Because it had changed from E3.3 (effect lines>create) I hadn't seen that it was a comparible tool :)

Now all I need is wave, frills and fill blurs and I'll be a totally happy camper. I have started to come back to Expression following a good few months using Brushes almost exclusively but enjoying getting back to the vectors (yes I know Br is vector based but it hides it well :) )
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:39 PM
  • Signed in to vote on the post.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 1:16 PM