Fake webcam RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible for me to make a fake webcam that you can use as a normal webcam? I want that that fake webcam will show certain images or a whole video. How can I do that?
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 8:26 AM

Answers

• wow uhh okay don't listen to that ;)

First of all its not possible from C# since you'd actually have to write a device driver (even though you are just faking a device it still needs a driver) which you'll need the Windows Driver Kit for in which the only language supported is C.

Details on obtaining the WDK can be found here :

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/WDK/WDKpkg.mspx

The kit contains documentation and samples on how to build a webcam driver this is however not an easy task (but probably alot of fun) since there's products on the market already that do what you are searching for you might just want to buy one of those and get it over with.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:35 PM

All replies

• Something along the line of:
    I have a usb 256MB memory stick.
    I insert it into a computer.
    The computer (falsely) recognises it as an USB webcam.
    I use any program to look at my "webcam".
    The USB stick sends images/video to the computer like it was recording, but actually it's just sending pre-saved images?

That can be done yes.

How?

No idea, you'd have to change the drivers on the USB stick, however I don't think they are accessible trough any normal (read: non-hacking tools).

The improbable we do, the impossible just takes a little longer. - Steven Parker
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 9:12 AM
  • wow uhh okay don't listen to that ;)

First of all its not possible from C# since you'd actually have to write a device driver (even though you are just faking a device it still needs a driver) which you'll need the Windows Driver Kit for in which the only language supported is C.

Details on obtaining the WDK can be found here :

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/DevTools/WDK/WDKpkg.mspx

The kit contains documentation and samples on how to build a webcam driver this is however not an easy task (but probably alot of fun) since there's products on the market already that do what you are searching for you might just want to buy one of those and get it over with.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 2:35 PM
  • Ok, but still thanks.
    Thursday, July 24, 2008 4:32 PM