Faulting on CLR.dll, version 4.7.2650. Exception code : 0xc00000fd (HP envy laptop with Windows 10 and net framework 4.7.2) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everybody,

Currently, our application Samsung Mobile Theme Editor (WPF, .NET 4.0) got the issue "Faulting on CLR.dll, version 4.7.2650. Exception code : 0xc00000fd".

Because this is user's PC, so we can't install Visual Studio. And we also can't reproduce this error on our development environment.

So I'm wondering how best to debug or resolve this issue with the framework .dll ?

Details as below :

+ User's environment : HP envy laptop with Windows 10 and net framework 4.7.2

+ Crash log :

Faulting module name: clr.dll, version: 4.7.2650.0, time stamp: 0x5ab1cd09
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x00017bff
    Faulting process id: 0x3748

Faulting module path : C\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\clr.dll

Event data :

Fault bucket  2297646050110044660, type 1
    Event Name   APPCRASH
    Response   Not available
    Cab Id    0

Problem signature:
    P1   ThemeEditor.exe
    P2   1.0.0.0
    P3   5ab1d709
    P4   clr.dll
    P5   4.7.2650.0
    P6   5ab1cd09
    P7   c00000fd
    P8   00017bff

Attached files:
       C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WERD683.tmp.dmp
       C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER285E.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
       C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER286B.tmp.csv
       C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER28AB.tmp.txt
       C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_ThemeEditor.exe_a6a3135fd1f27e8490d7a39df2b5b838b8a4e6_580dd644_38852ed4

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 3:02 AM

All replies

• Fani_PrizmicHi ng.hoainam,

Thank you for posting here.

For your question, I could not make sure what cause the error. Please check the following information. Is the framework version on user's PC same with the version which you create the application? Does the application works well for this .net framework version?

If yes, please ask the user to provide dump file when the application get something wrong. 

Here is the document about how to generate a dump file. You could take it from Task Manager.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/kaevans/2011/04/11/intro-to-windbg-for-net-developers/

And then user Windbg to debug without VS.

You could download Windbg from the link below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/debugger-download-tools

Here are some MSDN documents about how to debug vis Windbg fro your reference.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/

https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/23589/Get-Started-Debugging-Memory-Related-Issues-in-Net

Best Regards,

Wendy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 5:45 AM
  •  

Hi ng.hoainam,

I had experienced similar problem and you can try following things that I do to solve this:

---Update Window

---Use previous version

---Run as administrator

---Uninstall and Reinstall 

I'm not sure exactly what cause the problem but after doing some research, I come up with a theory: some code in clr.dll call other file by using recursion. For some reason, clr.dll can't have the file it wants. Maybe because Access is denied (in my case), File is corrupted, File is missing or whatever reason. So that clr.dll keep using recursion until Stack_Over_Flow which is Exception code: 0xc00000fd stand for (the common reason cause stack over flow error is use recursion).

This is not solid solutions so those I mentioned may or may not solved your problem but It still worths a try

Monday, December 17, 2018 10:16 AM