What is the difference between C# 2010 and 2012 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm new to programming but I was started learning C# 2010 , is this good or bad , I mean do I must start learning C# 2012 or what

Mohamed Ahmed Database Administrator & Developer

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:11 PM

Answers

• They took the pretty colors/icons from VS2010 and made them boring and flat in VS2012.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:54 PM
  • If you are new to programming, then in a beginner perspective, there is no difference, you can start with either of them.

Noam B.

Do not Forget to Vote as Answer/Helpful, please. It encourages us to help you...

Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:10 AM

All replies

• Hi,

if you're familiar with a former version of C# the step to the newest version is very small. Have a look at this blog post to become familiar with the new features.

Best Regards. When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer. This helps us build a healthy and positive community.

@Horizon_Net | Blog

Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:22 PM
  • I believe you have the C# version confused with the Visual Studio version. The current version of C# is 5.0, here you'll get a nice run down of what's new and how it compares to 4.0 and previous versions. Basically the async and await operators are the biggest new additions to the language in version 5.
    • Edited by Hasani Holder Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:34 PM Added detail
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 4:32 PM
  • The biggest difference is the introduction of Asynchronous Functions which is a simplified way to perform threaded functions.

Task<int> ComplexCalculationAsync()

{

return Task.Run(() => ComplexCalculation()); //Task.Run new

}

Task<int> task = ComplexCalculationAsync();

var awaiter = task = task.GetAwaiter();  //GetAwaiter new

awaiter.OnCompleted(() =>   //Continuation

{

int result = awaiter.GetResult(); //GetResult new

Console.WriteLine(result);

});

I highly recomend that you get the C# 5.0 Pocket Reference by O'Reilly.  The authors are Joseph Albahari and Ben Albahari

It is an inexpensive book and I use it a lot...

• Proposed as answer by PaulDAndrea Wednesday, August 7, 2013 10:57 PM
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:24 PM
  • They took the pretty colors/icons from VS2010 and made them boring and flat in VS2012.
    Wednesday, July 31, 2013 8:54 PM
  • If you are new to programming, then in a beginner perspective, there is no difference, you can start with either of them.

Noam B.

Do not Forget to Vote as Answer/Helpful, please. It encourages us to help you...

Thursday, August 1, 2013 10:10 AM