Why Notification services RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi folks,

I have not worked on Notificatioin services.Currently I am using COM+

to send messages to the customers.Is there any additional advantage by using by

Notification services.Help me(Give me atleast related links)

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 5:51 AM

Answers

• Hi -

I get this question quite a bit when talking with people about SSNS. I'm sure that there are a lot of very talented people who could develop their own notification application. But before you do, consider:

• SSNS is built using technologies you already know - SQL Server, T-SQL, XML, and the .NET framework, so you're not having to learn some proprietary protocol.
    • SSNS offers quite a few features out of the box that you'd otherwise have to code yourself, such as:
      • Retries if a delivery channel fails.
      • Processing of past quantums if SSNS is turned off for a while.
      • Notification obsolesence if it cannot be delivered in a timely manner (you define).
      • Scheduled and event-driven notifications
      • Time-zone awareness.
      • Built-in clean up of older data.
    • SSNS is designed to be internet scalable, meaning it processes events and notifications in batches for efficiency and can handle LARGE amounts of events and notifications.
    • Flexible deployment options - single server, remote database, scale-out deployments. Additionally, it's cluster aware so you can configure fault tolerance.
    • It's free with Standard and Enterprise.
    • It's highly extensible - you can add custom event providers and delivery protocols using the SSNS API and most any .NET (or COM) programming language.

If you cannot tell, I think it's definitely worth looking into.

The downside? Well, at first glance it appears to be overly complex and is sometimes a bit difficult for some people to get their heads around initially. Once you do, it makes sense. Until then, it makes you wonder why. I encourage people to start with the walkthrough in BOL. If you need more guidance, I have a book that is designed to get people up on speed on SSNS quickly and Shyam Pather has written one that goes into even more detail. Both are on Amazon.

HTH...

Joe

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:18 PM

All replies

• Hi -

I get this question quite a bit when talking with people about SSNS. I'm sure that there are a lot of very talented people who could develop their own notification application. But before you do, consider:

• SSNS is built using technologies you already know - SQL Server, T-SQL, XML, and the .NET framework, so you're not having to learn some proprietary protocol.
    • SSNS offers quite a few features out of the box that you'd otherwise have to code yourself, such as:
      • Retries if a delivery channel fails.
      • Processing of past quantums if SSNS is turned off for a while.
      • Notification obsolesence if it cannot be delivered in a timely manner (you define).
      • Scheduled and event-driven notifications
      • Time-zone awareness.
      • Built-in clean up of older data.
    • SSNS is designed to be internet scalable, meaning it processes events and notifications in batches for efficiency and can handle LARGE amounts of events and notifications.
    • Flexible deployment options - single server, remote database, scale-out deployments. Additionally, it's cluster aware so you can configure fault tolerance.
    • It's free with Standard and Enterprise.
    • It's highly extensible - you can add custom event providers and delivery protocols using the SSNS API and most any .NET (or COM) programming language.

If you cannot tell, I think it's definitely worth looking into.

The downside? Well, at first glance it appears to be overly complex and is sometimes a bit difficult for some people to get their heads around initially. Once you do, it makes sense. Until then, it makes you wonder why. I encourage people to start with the walkthrough in BOL. If you need more guidance, I have a book that is designed to get people up on speed on SSNS quickly and Shyam Pather has written one that goes into even more detail. Both are on Amazon.

HTH...

Joe

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 12:18 PM
  •  

Thanks alot JOE WEBB.It is great.I will start working on this and I will be in touch with you through this forum 

Tuesday, November 28, 2006 2:51 PM
  •  

Hi JOE Webb,I need E-Book.Please tell me how to get this.

Monday, December 11, 2006 7:10 AM
  • Here's a link to the paperback

http://www.amazon.com/Rational-Server-Notification-Services-Guides/dp/0972688811/sr=1-1/qid=1166195714/ref=sr_1_1/105-3414051-6111653?ie=UTF8&s=books

The e-book is essentially the same book. It used to be available on Amazon, but I cannot locate it now. Try contacting my publisher Rational Press.

http://www.mannpublishing.com/Catalog/BookDetail.aspx?BookID=6

HTH...

Joe

Friday, December 15, 2006 3:20 PM