Server Explorer. Unable to Connect to ORacle RRS feed

• Question

• User-1659236655 posted

Using VS 2008 and oracle 10g.

I have installed oracle odp.net (11.1.0.7.20). This client installation includes
    all VS developer tools.

All my application seems to be working ok. I have never attempted to use VS Server Explorer.

For ReportViewer I was trying to create a dataset and in the server explorer I was
    trying to create a new dataconnection for oracle. As soon as I click new connection I get
    the following error.

An unexpected error occured in Oracle Data Net provider for .NET. Please contact the
    provider vendor to resolve this problem.

Also I am unable to add a server to the server explorer. When I enter the IP address of
    oracle DB Server, it gives the following error.

An error occured while connecting to 999.99.99.999

I am not sure if I am missing any installation or references.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
    Suresh 

Monday, January 31, 2011 1:13 PM

Answers

• User269602965 posted

I have to manually ADD the Oracle Connection information to the dataset.

Then I build my report layout, and then I toss the dataset, and call ODP.NET from VB.NET,

and populate the empty report with dynamic binding on report creation. 

I just find it is easier to manage bind variable parameters in code behind form

than goofing around with report viewer GUI.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:40 PM

All replies

• User269602965 posted

I had the same problem with VS 2010 and ODP.NET for ORacle 11g with Visual Studio tools and full client.

I tracked my problem to this:

My OS is 64-bit.

My database is 64-bit.

I installed the ODP.NET and VS Tools 32-bit client in a new Oracle Home,

and my VS2010 (and TOAD) were now able to talk to the Oracle database.

Monday, January 31, 2011 2:24 PM
  • User-1659236655 posted

After installing ODAC do I need to run installAllOracleASPNETProviders.sql using sqlplus.

I never ran that sql so far. Will that be creating the issue I mentioned earlier.

Suresh

Monday, January 31, 2011 9:51 PM
  • User665793701 posted

Actually you need not to install provider. Provider is a special feature used for specific purpose. Like, you can use membership provider for security purpose.

You faced problem when you try to browse db from vs. But are u able to connect database from application. If not then , you have to connect the database from your application first. Please clarify this first.

Regards,

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 12:37 AM
  • User-1659236655 posted

My application is working fine connecting to database and binding to grid view etc. using class file.

The problem I encountered was when using REport Viewer. I was trying to create a new dataset and it did not find

oracle in my datasource dropdown. Currently I am using vs 2008 with odp.net.

Suresh

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:35 AM
  • User-2001332922 posted

Hi suresh,

Is the report viewer is of Crystal reports? if so, Which is the type of application you are working on. I mean Windows/Web? I have a in-memory solution for Windows based. If you want to use it for Web based then please pardon me.

awaiting for your response. 

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 8:21 AM
  • User-1659236655 posted

That's ok. I am working on a web based application

Suresh 

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:16 AM
  • User269602965 posted

I have to manually ADD the Oracle Connection information to the dataset.

Then I build my report layout, and then I toss the dataset, and call ODP.NET from VB.NET,

and populate the empty report with dynamic binding on report creation. 

I just find it is easier to manage bind variable parameters in code behind form

than goofing around with report viewer GUI.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 1:40 PM