none
HIPAA schemas RRS feed

• Question

• All,

Looking at the schemas shipped with BizTalk 2010 under Microsoft BizTalk Server 2010\XSD_Schema\EDI\MicrosoftEDIXSDTemplates\ we have 4 folders HIPAA,X12, EDIFACT and EANCOM.

What is the difference between X12 and HIPAA schemas?  please let me know why Microsoft offers two sets of schemas?

Thanks.

praveen

• Moved by Ben Cline1Moderator Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:29 PM related to EDI (From:BizTalk Server Adapters and Adapter Pack)
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:06 PM

Answers

• Use HIPPA schema : if you are working with Health insurance domain

Use X12 schema : transportation, finance, government, supply chain and other industries

One more thing to understand is HIPPA is a kind of subset schema of X12(same applied with HL7).

TO make thing simple if you are working in Insurance Domain then use HIPPA, Health Domain use HL7. For other domains use X12

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:24 AM
  • My guess is that the HIPAA ones are compliant with the standards whereas the non HIPAA, X12 ones would be more generic and not based on the HIPAA standard. I am moving your thread to the EDI forum.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:29 PM
  • From a technical view, think of the X12 schemas as the "abstract" and the HIPAA schemas as the "Concrete" derivations of the related schemas - specific for the HIPAA Healthcare transaction sets they correspond to. HIPAA is just a very specialized utilization of X12.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:38 PM

All replies

• My guess is that the HIPAA ones are compliant with the standards whereas the non HIPAA, X12 ones would be more generic and not based on the HIPAA standard. I am moving your thread to the EDI forum.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 4:29 PM
  • Use HIPPA schema : if you are working with Health insurance domain

Use X12 schema : transportation, finance, government, supply chain and other industries

One more thing to understand is HIPPA is a kind of subset schema of X12(same applied with HL7).

TO make thing simple if you are working in Insurance Domain then use HIPPA, Health Domain use HL7. For other domains use X12

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:24 AM
  • From a technical view, think of the X12 schemas as the "abstract" and the HIPAA schemas as the "Concrete" derivations of the related schemas - specific for the HIPAA Healthcare transaction sets they correspond to. HIPAA is just a very specialized utilization of X12.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 8:38 PM