How to Detect change in Mobile Device Orientation RRS feed

• Question

• User1428043550 posted

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on how to detect a change in orientation when a user visits my website with a mobile device.

For the most part I am using CSS and media queries to deal with the presentational differences between potrait and landscape modes but I have a requirement to make some of these changes in code.  I basically have a gridview which needs to hide certain columns when in potrait mode but to show all columns when in landscape mode.  I don't actually know how I detect this change in orientation from code (and whether this can be achieved from client side and/or server side) so was wondering if you could help.

I have searched the internet and found a way of doing this using a mix of client side and server side code with hidden fields but this only works on a postback, I actually need it to happen when the user rotates the mobile device.

My website has been developed using Visual Studio and coded in VB.Net.  I also have JQuery installed.

Any ideas.

Thanks

Steven

Thursday, July 17, 2014 4:01 AM

Answers

• User1428043550 posted

After further researching this on the internet I found a solution.  So for all of you who are interested the detection of the change in mobile device orientation can be achieved with this snippet of Javascript:

function readDeviceOrientation() {

if (Math.abs(window.orientation) === 90) {
            // Landscape
        } else {
        	// Portrait
        }
    }

window.onorientationchange = readDeviceOrientation;

Thanks to William Malone for this from his article which can be seen at: http://www.williammalone.com/articles/html5-javascript-ios-orientation/

To show the full gridview in landscape mode but hide a particular column in potrait mode I had to add the following javascript into the Landscape and Potrait parts of the If, else clause above respectively:

rows = document.getElementById("mainmiddle_leaguetable").rows;
                    for (i = 0; i < rows.length; i++) 
                    {rows[i].cells[9].style.display = "block";}
                    {rows[i].cells[9].style.display = "none";}

One further point to make is that my gridview had an ID of 'leaguetable' but when I used this as the ElementID it didn't work.  It took me a few minutes to realise that you had to use the ID given to the gridview when the HTML was actually rendered.  To do this I had to look at the page source where I found that it had actually been rendered with an ID of 'mainmiddle_leaguetable'.

I hope this helps others out there

Stark8352

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:00 PM

All replies

• User1428043550 posted

After further researching this on the internet I found a solution.  So for all of you who are interested the detection of the change in mobile device orientation can be achieved with this snippet of Javascript:

function readDeviceOrientation() {

if (Math.abs(window.orientation) === 90) {
            // Landscape
        } else {
        	// Portrait
        }
    }

window.onorientationchange = readDeviceOrientation;

Thanks to William Malone for this from his article which can be seen at: http://www.williammalone.com/articles/html5-javascript-ios-orientation/

To show the full gridview in landscape mode but hide a particular column in potrait mode I had to add the following javascript into the Landscape and Potrait parts of the If, else clause above respectively:

{rows[i].cells[9].style.display = "block";}
                    {rows[i].cells[9].style.display = "none";}

One further point to make is that my gridview had an ID of 'leaguetable' but when I used this as the ElementID it didn't work.  It took me a few minutes to realise that you had to use the ID given to the gridview when the HTML was actually rendered.  To do this I had to look at the page source where I found that it had actually been rendered with an ID of 'mainmiddle_leaguetable'.

I hope this helps others out there

Stark8352

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:00 PM
  • User1428043550 posted

One further point again is that this appears to be a solution for ios.  I haven't tried it on other mobile devices but it's a start!

Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:05 PM