none
Compose Mail App - OWA on iPhone - Navigate to active item and/or close application RRS feed

• Question

• I have a compose app where I am inserting text into the active item (message or appointment). This is fine on desktop or tablet because the message and application are in view. However, on OWA (iPhone), only the application is visible. I would like to be able to navigate back to the active message or close the application.

One promising option turns out to only be available for Read applications:  displayMessageForm. This method requires itemId and that property is only in the Read mode.

Any suggestions/thoughts? 

Monday, May 19, 2014 3:36 AM

Answers

• Hello,

Unfortunately at this time there is not a method or an API to achieve what you've described. At this time the recommended course of action is to indicate to the user that they must manually exit the app to return to the message edit form.

Please keep an eye out for updates as the Apps for Outlook platform is constantly evolving. Also, customer feedback like this helps us shape the future of the platform... so keep them coming!

-AP

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In fact, mail app could be hosted in the smartphones such as iPhone. We have to specify source files for each device in a compose scenario or in a read scenario or both.

If you're creating a compose app that supports tablets or smartphones, note that currently iOS touch devices (iPads, iPhones) do not always automatically provide the user a vertical scroll bar if the content in the app pane is longer than the height of the iframe. Follow the guidelines below to enable proper vertical scrolling on such devices:

•In the CSS for your mail app, style the html element with height:100%.

•Define the body element as follows:

height: 100%
    overflow-y: auto
    And to support inertial scrolling, -webkit-overflow-scrolling: touch

As you said, only the application is visible on the OWA for iPhone, are you sure that you have specified the Form with type ItemRead, PhoneSettings and SourceLocation elements in the app manifest?

About setting up a mail app in OWA for iPhone, I suggest you referring to the link: Set up a mail app for Outlook on tablets and mobile devices (schema v1.1)

If it cannot help you, would you mind providing your sample manifest XML code or screenshot for us to troubleshoot?

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:06 AM
  • Hi Luna,

This is a compose (Edit) mail app.  In fact, as far as this scenario goes, it is nearly identical to the "My Templates" app from Microsoft.

If you load the "My Templates" app in OWA on a phone, after selecting "I'll reply later" - the app doesn't navigate back to the mail message.

I have an app very similar that I would like to be able to navigate back to the current mail message being composed.

I do have the CSS mentioned above - but that appears to be only for scrolling - not going back to the mail message.

I understand this could be confusing, let me know if the problem I'm describing makes sense.

Thank you,

Michael

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:18 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for providing more details.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Have a nice day!

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 10:32 AM
  • Hi

Do not have yet expiriences with apps for phone, but as getting itemId i have found two possible ways:

• check if maybe it is present in url paramter (check the value of window.location - in some cases it contains the item id parameter - for example if opened via displayMessageForm in OWA)
    • if you can (and want to) change permissions to ReadWriteMailbox and then use subject, from and datetimerecived properties to find the item with FindItem EWS call with makeEwsRequestAsync (this Will get you the id).

I guess you did try calling window.close() to close the app?

Anze Javornik

Friday, May 23, 2014 9:31 PM
  • Hello,

Unfortunately at this time there is not a method or an API to achieve what you've described. At this time the recommended course of action is to indicate to the user that they must manually exit the app to return to the message edit form.

Please keep an eye out for updates as the Apps for Outlook platform is constantly evolving. Also, customer feedback like this helps us shape the future of the platform... so keep them coming!

-AP

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 6:04 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Alex. If you see an issue with existing design and want us to investigate this further, please raise a paid support service request with us. If the support engineer determines that the issue is the result of a product issue the service request will be a no-charge case and you won't be charged. Please visit the
    below link to see the various paid support options that are available to better
    meet your needs. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone

Thanks Alex !!

-Mahesh

Tuesday, May 27, 2014 9:53 PM
  • I'd love for this to be a handled UX pattern (single pane/mobile - toggle back to message/appointment pane).  We do have a bizspark account, I will see if I can do anything with that.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2014 4:13 AM
  • Hi M_Klein,

If we provided an API to close the app, would that be sufficient? Or would you prefer some other functionality? Out of curiosity, could you let us know the scenario you are looking to build?

-Andrew

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 3:52 PM
  • Hi Andrew,

An API to close the app would be perfect.  The scenario is only on mobile/single pane.  But we have a Compose/Edit Form app that lets users browse through content to help them compose an email.  One feature of the app is being able to select a "template" (a sentence or two) that conveys an example of a topic.  The API works perfectly by allowing us to insert the text - but after inserting the text (right now) we can only instruct the user the text was inserted and now they can close the app to view the message.  So if we could close the app on behalf of the user, that would be awesome.

Thanks,

Michael

Wednesday, May 28, 2014 6:25 PM