none
KMDF Driver Install Problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am currently trying to create a kernel mode driver to control kernel functions for my own needs (not letting "spyware" scan my computer and so on).
    So I have finished my basic code (which is not doing any critical stuff yet, only ssdt table loading and information output etc) and I would like to test it.
    So after compiling the kmdf I go my solution folder and try to install the driver by right clicking the inf (which is automatically generated by vs13 and linked to the appropriate co installer dll).

However then I get the following error:
    "This installation methode is not supported for the selected .inf".

I also tryed to install the inf with devon using the following command
    devcon install xxx.inf ROOT\xxx
    no success, devcon failed.

I am aware of the fact that I can start the service manually by using the OpenSCManager etc, however I would really like to install it on my computer so it just starts up automatically after windows has loaded so I dont need any additional "loader".

My specs:
    Windows 7 x64 (4gb ram, so propably not going to play with VM to test stuff)
    Building my driver from the default kmdf template, my program specific code already written however not executed in driverentry yet.

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 9:28 AM

Answers

• ssdt hooking is not supported. You don't need an inf for a non pnp driver, just use the sc.exe functions to install the service. If you want it there on boot, make it an auto start service

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:01 PM

All replies

• ssdt hooking is not supported. You don't need an inf for a non pnp driver, just use the sc.exe functions to install the service. If you want it there on boot, make it an auto start service

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 4:01 PM
  • Thanks for your answer!
    I am creating the service as follows: 
    sc.exe create mod binPath= "C:\mod\mod.sys" DisplayName= "MOD" start= demand type= kernel error= normal

Then I am trying to start the service as follows:
    sc start mod

I get the following error message
    [SC] StartService ERROR 1058:

It says that the service is not enabled or is not connected to any active devices.

Thanks in advance :)

Tuesday, May 13, 2014 10:28 PM