none
Problems installing Windows Embedded Compact 7 Tools RRS feed

• Question

• When attempting to install Windows Embedded Compact 7, there are a number of components with red crosses next to them, indicating that I don't meet the list of prerequisites.  The reason given is "This option required Visual Studio 2008 with Service Pack 1 and the Smart Device option be installed.", but I know for a fact that I have installed a trial edition of Visual Studio 2008 Professional which I subsequently updated to Service Pack 1.

So what gives??

Matty Brown
    Computer Programmer (VBA 7.0/MS Access 2010, VB.Net 2005, ColdFusion 8)

Sunday, August 11, 2013 8:58 PM

Answers

• It turns out that because I like to do custom installs, so that I don't install software (or components of software) I'm never going to use, I had unchecked the Visual C++ > Smart Device Programmability option.  The requirements only say "Smart Device option", so I didn't realise the Visual Basic > Smart Device Programmability option wasn't acceptable to the installer.

So, incase anyone else comes across this thread looking for the answer -- make sure you install "Visual C++ > Smart Device Programmability", even if you don't write applications in C++.

Matty Brown<br/> Computer Programmer (VBA 7.0/MS Access 2010, VB.Net 2005, ColdFusion 8)

• Marked as answer by Matty Brown UK Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:33 PM

All replies

• "Smart Device option" is not ON by default when installing VS2008. If you don't have it, most of the Windows CE OS toolset won't make sense to VS2008.

Paul T.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Wednesday, August 14, 2013 9:08 AM
  • It turns out that because I like to do custom installs, so that I don't install software (or components of software) I'm never going to use, I had unchecked the Visual C++ > Smart Device Programmability option.  The requirements only say "Smart Device option", so I didn't realise the Visual Basic > Smart Device Programmability option wasn't acceptable to the installer.

So, incase anyone else comes across this thread looking for the answer -- make sure you install "Visual C++ > Smart Device Programmability", even if you don't write applications in C++.

Matty Brown<br/> Computer Programmer (VBA 7.0/MS Access 2010, VB.Net 2005, ColdFusion 8)

• Marked as answer by Matty Brown UK Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:33 PM
    Wednesday, August 14, 2013 1:33 PM