none
Access to Oracle 9i database RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi there,

Our company is running primarily SQL Server databases, but there is an application I have written that they want me to modify to include data from one of our vendor provided Oracle databases. The application I am writting will be distributed to 15 or 20 users at our company. I'm thinking I could configure an ODBC entry or use a 'Connection string' in the application that points to the Oracle database. When I try to access the oracle 9I database using a ADO connection in my application, I get the following dialog box:

ORA-12154 - TNS:Could not resolve service name

When I try to access the data using ODBC and then Access 2007, I get the following error message:

ODBC -- Call failed

[Microsoft][ODBC driver for oracle][ORACLE]ORA-12154 - TNS:Could not resolve service name (#12154)

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectionAttr failed IM006 0

[Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectionAttr failed (#0)

For the ODBC connection, I am using the MSORCL32.DLL with a version of 2.575.1117.00

This process works fine on a machine that the Oracle client is installed on, but it does not work on my machine which does not have the Oracle Client. I'm willing to install the oracle client, but I don't want to come up with a solution that requires that we install the Oracle client on every users PC.

Does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong in trying to access this Oracle database.

Thanks in advance for your help! - Eric -

Friday, May 16, 2008 7:24 PM

Answers

• The bottom line is that you have to install the Oracle client software and configure it properly before being able to access the database. The only other option would be to use the Oracle "Instant" client which may not have all the features that you need.

In any event, you will need to install one or the other or a third party library to connect.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 1:04 PM

All replies

• The bottom line is that you have to install the Oracle client software and configure it properly before being able to access the database. The only other option would be to use the Oracle "Instant" client which may not have all the features that you need.

In any event, you will need to install one or the other or a third party library to connect.
    Monday, May 19, 2008 1:04 PM
  • Ok, well, I've downloaded the instant client from Oracle. It still seems like some things or missing. Or better yet, I guess I should say their documentation is woefully in-adequate as to what you need to do to get things going, But I guess I shouldn't hope for help from Microsoft on an Oracle issue.

Thank you very much for your input. It will atleast get me moving in the right direction. Ahh it seems like the good old days once again, where you worked with IBM and Teac to get an IBM mainframe work with TEAC drives. And then, when it didnt' work, they pointed fingers at one another.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Happy coding everyone! - ERic-

Monday, May 19, 2008 7:24 PM