none
Can't generate Sequence diagram RRS feed

• Question

• Can not generate sequence diagram from code:

right-click on method, select 'Generate Sequence Diagram' and get error message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Any idea what could cause it?

Thanks

Victor

Monday, April 19, 2010 3:09 PM

Answers

• Any update on this? Does it fail for all languages and all functions? If you create a new project, does it work?

Try uninstalling any extensions, then run devenv /resetuserdata to reset. If still doesn’t help – attach to VS when the error occurs and check the call stack.

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou
    MSDN Subscriber Support in Forum
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:06 AM

All replies

• Hello Victor,

The function works fine in my Visual Studio 2010 Ultimate. So what version and edition IDE are you using? And what do the codes look like? Could you plesae share more information on this so that I can reproduce it in my side?

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 9:57 AM
  • Any update on this? Does it fail for all languages and all functions? If you create a new project, does it work?

Try uninstalling any extensions, then run devenv /resetuserdata to reset. If still doesn’t help – attach to VS when the error occurs and check the call stack.

Best regards,
    Ji Zhou
    If you have any feedback of our support, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Its not working even in Visual studio 2010 ultimate..... It shows the following error: "VS1716:Cannot generate a sequence diagram due to the following possible reasons:...." Once you click ok.. It wont show GenerateSequenceDiagram once again in the properties, when you right click any method.
    Wednesday, August 25, 2010 12:53 PM
  • I got the same error. one issue could be I have selected the class name in the class declaration for SD generation.

Now, just selected the constructor (in my case) and tried to generate the Seq Diagram. Its working... :-)

ram

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 1:59 PM