none
Visual Simulation Graphics disappears RRS feed

• Question

• When I switch from run mode to edit mode, the graphics screen disappears. The dashboard and initial command screen remains. I’ve restarted, repaired and reinstalled MRDS but no luck. In the beginning, it all ran fine but this disappearing act started when I began fiddling around with editing entities.

My W7 machine has a Nvidia GeForce 7300 card

How do I fix it?

Thanks

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:28 PM

Answers

All replies

• I haven't seen this.  One of my machines has a an NVidia GeForce 7600 GT.

Is this happening in one of the sample scenes, or a scene of your own?   Do you remember what specific operation you were doing when it first went away?

Wednesday, August 22, 2012 2:48 PM
  • This happens to all of the standard scenes I've opened. The graphics now disappear when I click on any sub-menu under View, Render Camera, Physics, Mode.

It all began after I started messing around with the Simple Scene in Edit Mode.

Kinda weird ain't it.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:50 AM
  • DSS tends to 'crash quietly' when things go wrong.  The way to see what made the service disappear is to look into the DSS logs.  You do this by opening a web browser to http://localhost:50000/console/output.  Do you see any errors in the log there after the graphics disappear?

Please use IE or Chrome to view this web page, as Firefox doesn't support 'automatic authentication' which has been throwing some people off.

Thursday, August 23, 2012 5:04 PM
  • OK.. If I followed your instructions properly, I did get an error message as follows

XNA Framework Reach profile supports a maximum Texture2D size of 2048.
    Namespace http://schemas.microsoft.com/robotics/2006/04/simulationengine.html
    Category ConsoleMessage
    Level q1:Error
    Time 2012-08-26T19:55:31.9064139Z
    Subject XNA Framework Reach profile supports a maximum Texture2D size of 2048.
    Source http://127.0.0.1:50000/simulationengine
    CodeSite Void StartRenderLoop() at Microsoft.Robotics.Simulation.Engine.SimulationEngine Void ThreadStart_Context(System.Object) at System.Threading.ThreadHelper Void Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext Void Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object) at System.Threading.ExecutionContext Void ThreadStart() at System.Threading.ThreadHelper

But I haven't a clue what it all means... hopefully one of you folks do.

Thanks

Bill

Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:58 PM
  • 99.44% certain what this means is "I could not find a 3D hardware accelerator chip (GPU) so I am trying to do 3D in software on your CPU, but what you've asked me to draw is too complex to pull that off".

Do you happen to have proper drivers loaded for your video card?  Check on NVidia.Com to ensure you have good drivers installed, they should have a little applet that will check for you.

If that's not the case, perhaps the graphics card doesn't support the right version of DirectX or simply doesn't have the hardware to run the simulator.  Even low end NVidia chips tend to be pretty darn good so I doubt that this is the problem.

Monday, August 27, 2012 6:23 PM
  • OK I reloaded the Nvidia drivers and did a "Clean Install"... but SORRY the graphics screen still disappears when I switch to Edit Mode
    Monday, August 27, 2012 11:25 PM
  • I think we can conclude your graphics card doesn't have the capabilities to run the simulation environment.

If you do a search on NVidia 7300 and 'reach profile' you'll find a similar thread for the game Terreria which concludes the NVIDIA 7300 doesn't work there either.  That thread has some suggestions about using some software workarounds to get better GPU compatibility which you may be able to try as well.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:22 PM
  • Maybe... but it ran fine until I started to play around with the edit mode... I must have switch to and from run mode to edit mode a dozen times... all was fine... then suddenly ... thud
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 2:47 PM